Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would growing in 2 liter bottles be better than using 1 gallon pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would growing in 2 liter bottles be better than using 1 gallon pots?

I have 26 plants and noticed when I was transferring from cups to flower pots that the plants tend to grow down through the holes of the cups and bunch up at the bottom. Would it be better to put them in 2 liter bottles than one gallon flower pots? Would definitely free up space.

Only if you live here!

Comment

If you want, just make some holes for drainage.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Originally posted by dontknownuttin View Post
        Only if you live here!
        I think that's where my seeds come from >_< . I was considering growing my Pineapple Kush in two liter bottles instead of the gallon pots to conserve room until I get my shed in 3 weeks. My GSC, NH, and others would keep in gallon pots. I was noticing an issue with the Pineapple Kush plants that was not happening with the others which was why I was considering the 2 liter bottles, then once I got space, would move them to 3 gallon pots that are tall instead of wide. They were getting sick even after the PH was fixed so when I went to move them out of their cups at 2 weeks of age, I discovered the roots on all of my pineapple Kush's not only grew completely straight down to the bottom of the cup, they also grew roots on the bottom of the cup all jumbled into a mess yet saw no sign of the roots even trying to branch out except the floor of the cup. Its only the Pineapple that has done this.

Comment

Light on your roots? better check with Green

Comment

I actually used 1 gallon water bottles and covered them with duct tape. I was surprised when I found out it was the clear cups interfering with the roots. I'm going to slip them into non clear cups now that I know what's going on. Not sure why it only effects the pineapple Kush in this way. Done. Rinsed out six cups that were not clear, cut the corners out for drainage and just plopped the clear ones into them. The seedlings are too young to be put into bigger pots. Especially since I changed the soil composition to hold 1/3 peat. 26 plants on heating mats are burning up 2 gallons of PH water a day. Its been 3 days since the PH fix and the plants are taking off. I'm crossing my fingers I get my shed in 3 weeks because I did not expect a lot of what I thought were dead plants to spring to life and 26 in a 2x4 tent gets cluttered. And worse, not sure how much damage delayed half of them which are autos. I was hoping for males to make some cross breeds, otherwise depending on how many of the non feminized turn female Ill buy some of that Colloidal Silver 30 PPM and make my own feminized seeds. What I'm not sure of when I was reading up on it was if your supposed to mix the bottle with the water you spray the plant with or just spray it on as is.
            Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 01-11-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I duck taped a bunch of 1 gallon crystal geyser water bottles that I turned into 1 gallon pots. Its not to be cheap, I actually have 3 gallon and 5 gallon pots. I discovered I can fit 16 of them in a 2x2 pan, which should stall for time a few weeks to get everything else ready. Once I fixed the PH issue, I had no clue how fast these babies would grow and the pots their in take way too much space being decorative. Once the sheds done, I'll be able to set up the big tent and will have room for everything whether 3 gallon or 5 gallon. To bad the autos die after. At least I think they do. There one time flowering right?

Comment

Originally posted by dontknownuttin View Post
                Only if you live here!
                dontknownuttin I had to come back to this post, only because I almost bought a house today that turned out to be at one of these mobile home places, and that picture is now burned into my brain. I didn't even know they have been improved so much. It looked exactly like a house, but soon as the realtor started telling me of paying an additional $1000 monthly fee on top of the mortgage, I was like what the heck type of house are you trying to sell me? I have nothing against mobile homes, heck, the place looked so nice, I would of actually considered buying it. But a 30 year mortgage on a $250,000 home and then an additional monthly charge of $1,000, and insurance, and property taxes is a bit much.

Comment

I'm still very new at this, but in my short experience, growing in clear containers isn't a problem until you're getting root bound.

Until they touch the side, the roots are still covered in dirt and dark. When you can see them, it's time to replant. I've let them go a few days longer than that, until I could see several roots, and it was a nice, big root ball that wasn't a tangled mess.
                  Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X