Coco to hydro transplant success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coco to hydro transplant success

I transplanted six clones from coco in one gallon cloth pots to the new RDWC on Monday. Two days later they seem happy! One of the GDPs needed a yo-yo until it finds its feet again in the hydroton. I accidentally sheared off a few leaves trying to shoo a small fly out of the tent - I snagged the line before I could stop myself. The fly paid the ultimate price for its impertinence!

As expected, I'm picking bits of coco out of the pump filter but not as much as I feared would be there. I will let them have the rest of the week to adjust before switching to 12/12. These clones are too big to try manifolding without adding weeks to the grow so I'm going to install a ScrOG net after I trim off some unnecessary stuff from the girls. I'd like this one to finish ASAP because there are strains waiting in the wings I can't wait to try. I'd really really like to get a decent crop of GDP this time too!

So the bottom line is that you can definitely go from coco to hydro as long as the plants are healthy. I've moved from hydro to coco with two plants before and it works if they are healthy and you use a large enough pot for the root ball. I focus on hydro but I found that coco is great for parking plants you wish to grow slowly and working with it is also fun in a way I didn't expect.

Next weekend I will be assembling another RDWC for my old 3'x3' tent. I have a friend who recently moved here and plans to get her own medical card and name me as a caregiver so I can double my plant limit and help her out. The first grow will likely be four Seedsman Blueberry clones because BB is her favorite ever. This is a bit of a back-handed compliment to Seedsman but the genetics seem right so far because the mother plant I'm raising is just as nutrient-sensitive as the "official" Blueberry!
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

WOW good luck that's a big transition way to grow UndergroundFarmer they say they do grow quicker I wonder just how much sooner to harvest?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Originally posted by UndergroundFarmer View Post
      I transplanted six clones from coco in one gallon cloth pots to the new RDWC on Monday. Two days later they seem happy! One of the GDPs needed a yo-yo until it finds its feet again in the hydroton. I accidentally sheared off a few leaves trying to shoo a small fly out of the tent - I snagged the line before I could stop myself. The fly paid the ultimate price for its impertinence!

As expected, I'm picking bits of coco out of the pump filter but not as much as I feared would be there. I will let them have the rest of the week to adjust before switching to 12/12. These clones are too big to try manifolding without adding weeks to the grow so I'm going to install a ScrOG net after I trim off some unnecessary stuff from the girls. I'd like this one to finish ASAP because there are strains waiting in the wings I can't wait to try. I'd really really like to get a decent crop of GDP this time too!

So the bottom line is that you can definitely go from coco to hydro as long as the plants are healthy. I've moved from hydro to coco with two plants before and it works if they are healthy and you use a large enough pot for the root ball. I focus on hydro but I found that coco is great for parking plants you wish to grow slowly and working with it is also fun in a way I didn't expect.

Next weekend I will be assembling another RDWC for my old 3'x3' tent. I have a friend who recently moved here and plans to get her own medical card and name me as a caregiver so I can double my plant limit and help her out. The first grow will likely be four Seedsman Blueberry clones because BB is her favorite ever. This is a bit of a back-handed compliment to Seedsman but the genetics seem right so far because the mother plant I'm raising is just as nutrient-sensitive as the "official" Blueberry!
      one day you may look back at this as 'playing; but in truth far from it

yes vegging you can do much as like kids very tough..

but you must ask why the sudden change of plan.. then tell all

good luck

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
        UndergroundFarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        I took all those clones while their donor plants (the ones I just harvested last Saturday) were still in veg and 8+ weeks until harvest. I took them during an early defoliation and I couldn't bear to just toss them so I decided to get some practice cloning. 13 cuttings went in, 13 rooted. One died because I snapped the stem when transplanting to coco in solo cups. Six of the survivors were given to a local grower looking for a fast start. I put them in coco like I do with plants meant to be mothers so I could slow their growth until I had space to flower them out. They just grow too fast in hydro even with weak nutes and under T5 lights! The plan going forward is to start clones in my aeroponic cloner just in time to move the rooted clones directly into the new RDWC without having to be parked in coco.

I like the comment!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X