Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about using a propane heater in my grow room - What does CO do to plants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about using a propane heater in my grow room - What does CO do to plants?

Hey GWE community! I am getting a head start on my winter grow by researching heating sources for my garage and wanted to see what you all thought about using a portable propane heater to warm my grow room. Since my room is highly vented (390cfm in a space that's 234 cu. ft.) CO toxicity shouldn't be an issue but will it harm the plants to be exposed to CO? I know CO2 is often used in grows but that's not CO. CO is poisonous to humans. Is it poisonous to plants? Anyone know? Let me know if you know. Thanks and happy growing!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Hi ellz, I do not think the CO level would be high enough to hurt the plant, even though I think the CO is okay for them. I knew a florist once that used car exhaust to freshen up his plants, seemed to do okay. Having said that, using a propane heater indoors continuously and unattended, even in the garage, is this is something I would not feel comfortable doing. What happens when you lose power or your exhaust fan fails? What happens if something (pet?) accidentally knocks over the heater? What happens if the flame gets knocked/blown out and pure fuel/propane fills the garage creating an explosive atmosphere (the cycling of them on and off could create a small spark and act as an ignition source)? Okay, maybe none of these are likely but the consequences could be fatal. There are a lot of options for thermostatically controlled heaters as well as safer ways to get boosted CO2 to your plants.

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your input. My main problem is I'm limited on power due to the people who built the house being cheap. As for knocking over the unit, it has a built in safety feature that shuts it off should that happen and I can vouch for it working because I've knocked over the heater a time or two. It's meant to be used in tents while you're camping so it's designed to be safe (relatively). You can even install a hose instead of a propane tank that runs to a larger, outside tank. This heater would only be used while I can supervise it remotely or in person. I have a surveillance camera installed in my grow room and I'm only a second away if there were an emergency. What do you think? Not really looking to boost CO2 levels.

• crunchyfrog
      crunchyfrog commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, I have done and do a lot of crazy things however, burning a propane heater indoors and unattended is just not something I think I would do. Even if I did it attended, I would want a CO monitor in the area where it is burning.

There is a difference between CO and CO2, carbon monoxide is not good. even deadly for you and I.

Comment

There are many variables that are unknown to us. How cold your environment is in the Winter, how large your heater is, how big the garage is, etc. Offhand, I would think that the CO will inhibit growth because it will displace oxygen to the roots.

That's my 2 cents and you got it for FREE
      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

For those wondering, this is the heater: https://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html
        Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
        Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• homegrown
          homegrown commented
          Editing a comment
          hey ellz, i'v sat in my grow tent/fish hut with one of those heaters running full blast ice fishing, while outside temp is -20 lol. Bad for anything that actually breathes..plants are ok im pretty sure. A garage grow is extremely hard..unless the ambient temp in garage is within 15 degrees of inside of the tent..always. I tried it already and it was a nightmare. i found that temp fluctuations outside of the tent caused extreme condensation in the tent..and i couldnt vent it properly cause it was pulling in too cold or hot air. Finished one grow then i moved into the basement.

Ah, a buddy heater! It should be relatively safe...as safe as an unsupervised propane heater can be.

You "shouldn't" have to worry about CO though.
        A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• crunchyfrog
          crunchyfrog commented
          Editing a comment
          Well...

We heat our bathroom for showers with a Mr. Buddy propane heater in winter.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X