My First Adventure in Tinctures and Hash Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Adventure in Tinctures and Hash Oil

I am in the midst of preparing my first tincture/hash oil. I will be harnessing the Sun to evaporate a significant amount for hash oil.

In the tutorial, they illustrate using the "double boiler method". Using a solar oven will be MUCH safer, as there is NO ignition source...but solar cooking presents its own challenges too. 1. Gotta have sun, preferably full sun! While you can cook, as long as there's a shadow, it may take a long while. Having full sun will allow you the flexibility to adjust the temperature (by moving the oven/reflectors or cracking the lid open). 2. Condensation may get in the way. I've been solar cooking for well over a decade. One truism I've learned is that if you keep the lid tightly closed, your top glass will become fogged up. This will cap out your temperature, probably staying at around 300 degrees F. For this event, I'll be cracking the lid open. This will not only prevent condensation but any wind will aid in evaporation. 3. Wind may RUIN your day!!! I've lost count of the meals ruined or partially ruined, when the wind tipped my solar oven These days, I weigh down the leg with weight. Even so, I'm keeping a close eye out.

I expect my temperature to max out at 250 degrees F. It's 2:30 p.m. here and I just set my solar oven up and put in a pint jar with a bit of tincture in it...

Building a solar oven is easy and fun. There are some examples out there on the interwebz. You can go as simple or as complex as your heart desires. If you want something prefab, I use a Sun Oven. They're pricey but well worth the investment: https://www.sunoven.com/

Attached Files
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Very interesting BR2K we were boondock camping with some folks who have one of these.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• BR2K
      BR2K commented
      Editing a comment
      That's one of the things Sun Ovens excel at - Conserving propane/firewood and keeping the heat from cooking out of the RV...

• Willyd
      Willyd commented
      Editing a comment
      my dad used to spend hours in the driveway with his solar ovens nothing in them just playing with temps. he did manage to cook a turkey in it which after a 16 hour wait was awesome! Reading your post just made me laugh i wonder if he'll give me one of his to give this a shot lol

Here's a little primer video. It's includes my first tincture which currently sits in my refrigerator. I look forward to refining my process:

A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Wow cool I've never seen those before! I have some tincture I'm considering reducing... is it possible to simply leave it out in the sun for a few days to get the same result? Would the uv light damage the tincture?

Comment

Originally posted by Train View Post
        Wow cool I've never seen those before! I have some tincture I'm considering reducing... is it possible to simply leave it out in the sun for a few days to get the same result? Would the uv light damage the tincture?
        While it is certainly possible to leave tincture out in the Sun for reduction, there is a caveat:

Whatever container you have the tincture in must be left open, to allow for evaporation. Wind will also likely aid to reduce the product. HOWEVER, an open container may allow contaminants into your elixer. Of course, it will take much longer for you to achieve your desired results.

I am uncertain if UV light will degrade the tincture. The GWE tutorial recommends storing your tinctures in colored bottles, to prevent this from occuring. I'm guessing leaving the tincture out in the Sun for days could reduce its effectiveness. A few hours under the Sun, in a solar oven, probably won't.

If you're curious and have a cardboard box, some aluminum foil and tape lying around, try making a solar oven. Give yourself a time limit, maybe an hour, to fashion it. You'll have a little fun, learn along the way and be able to reduce your tincture safely.

Comment

Alas, I realized that I left out one HUGE factor - cracking the lid! Regardless of the solar oven you end up with, you want to prevent condensation. You also want to promote convection, to further speed up the process. Finally, it should also mitigate the possibility that heat will break down the THC.

I'm working on the edit now...

Comment

Here's the updated video. I neglected to mention propping the lid open, on my Sun Oven. It makes evaporation much quicker, in that the moisture has somewhere to go...

https://youtu.be/2ukeBA-_o5A

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X