Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time grow, just started 12/12s, am I missing anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time grow, just started 12/12s, am I missing anything?

I am attempting my first ever grow with some bagseed I had on hand , lol. These girls are 3 months from germination in soil. They finally started fully showing pistils today! I'm so proud, I've never kept so much as a peace lily alive before now, lol.

They had a super cheap led light on them until last week, when I finally was able to get them an 800 watt cob led light, and that lack of quality light for so long really stunted them, for sure! They've been in their new home for not quite a week, and they have EXPLODED with growth! Like I said, it's been incredible to see firsthand just how important light is, lol.

They've been doing 12/12s for a couple days now, and I switched over the grow nutrients to the dynagrow bloom with their water yesterday. Ph in water runs more basic than acidic, but luckily the nutrients do a good job evening that out, as the run off at watering can attest, lol.

I started lst with them at a small age, they're supposed to be spiral shaped, but, well, you see the mess I've got, lol. There's only one girl in each of those 5 gallon pots, I swear! If you have any advice on what direction to take their shape in, I'd be much obliged. I've been taking their fan leaves and tucking them along the stem, like vines? And then just positioning things to where they'll get light at, not that I really know what I'm positioning, or where, since I'm learning on the fly here, lol.

And with all this, I think I'm dealing with a fungus gnat problem...at any rate, something lives in the soil and I've tried DE and neem oil, with minimal success. Actually, I think the neem oil did the trick, I'm just still carefully watching. They're not hurting my girls, idt, but, I still don't like them, lol.

They're in ridiculously shitty soil, like vigaro brand potting soil, how worried should I be about that as we head into flowering? I mean, they are getting their nutrients still from me, right? I really don't want to transplant them at this point unless the soil quality is going to be detrimental.
    ​​
    How do they look overall? I mean, I'm doing the best I can for them, they're in a grow tent, with a carbon filter and fan, with the lamp on a timer...and I check on them daily, give water and nutrients as needed, etc. Is there anything I could be missing?

Thanks all! Canna gardening is certainly an exciting journey to undertake! So much to learn!

Attached Files

Hey Demosthenes and welcome! I recommend taking pics with white or natural light as blue, purple and red lights make it nearly impossible to see the actual condition of the plant. That being said, it does look like your plant is being eaten by something. I see many damaged leaves though it could be from rough handling too. Check out https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-symptoms-pictures

As far as soil is concerned, i would make sure it has good drainage and has no time released nutrients. Since i dont use soil for cannabis i cant give any other advice but check out these links:

As far as plant training techniques, there are many tutorials on the main site. I would start with this links:
    Get a summary of all the most common plant training techniques that growers use to increase their cannabis yields indoors!

by Nebula Haze Table of Contents Intro: What is Main-Lining Cannabis? Ultra-Quick Guide to Building a Manifold

https://www.growweedeasy.com/simple-...training-guide

Comment

• Demosthenes
      Demosthenes commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the feedback!

They're sleeping now, but I'll try new pics in natural lighting when they get up tonight, lol.

I am pretty rough on my plants, I shake constantly, and when you need precision, shaking is NOT your friend, lol. I think that's why I've had doubts bugs were the culprit. Am I doing something wrong with the neem oil? I mixed it as directed and have sprayed on my girls a couple times...the huge presence of gnats or whatever are gone, but I still see one here and there. Will neem oil not get rid of them completely?

The soil doesn't have any time release nutrients in it, I think that's the one thing I got right with it, lol. It's just not good. I have fox farms ocean forest in my og kush I've got vegetating, but these two girls got what was on hand 3 months ago, lol.

And I have SCOURED not just this site, but Google as a whole on what to do with my plant training, lol. I guess you don't find too many noob canna growers who used to have bonsai trees, and incorporated it into their grow, lol. At least not many that are sharing their success stories online, lol.

I'll check through these links again today, now that I'm seeing irl what they're talking about, it makes so much more sense, lol. Thanks again!

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had bonsai trees, its just that it's not as effective a method. Bonsai grow slowly where cannabis can grow fast. I have tried many methods and have found that lst and manifolding help significantly with spacing and the even-ness of the canopy. While you can use bonsai techniques, i just dont find them useful for indoor cannabis plants. Also, most bonsai use wire wrapped around the stem to shape the branch which is fine for a plant that grows less than an inch or two a year but on a cannabis plant that grow that in a day it can be harmful to the plant as it can break the stem or constrict nutrient flow to the bud sites. Not saying it cant be done, but i prefer other ways.

• Demosthenes
      Demosthenes commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel ya annoy traditional bonsai methods being dangerous for cannabis places. ..I'm not doing literal canna bonsai trees, lol, that'd be ridiculous with anything other than mother plants.

I just enjoy the art of shaping plants, even big ones. I use appropriate gardening wire or clamps, and they get checked twice a day for growth.

I honestly didn't expect these two to make it past planting, but here we are, lol. So now that it looks like there is a chance they might actually make it to flowering and on to harvest, I'm making sure they've got everything they need, lol.

Those are 3 months old? Can't really tell what kind of training your doing - you have so many pieces of wood sticking out everywhere.

I would let them grow up - as in vertically.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wow i missed that part. Didnt realize they were 3 months...

• Demosthenes
      Demosthenes commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your reply!

They are 3 months-ish. We planted the germinated seeds on daily Patrick's day, lol.

I wasn't sure what I was going for at first, I just knew I didn't want to let them grow naturally: a; I don't have the space for them to grow to 3+ feet tall (they would be 18 inches rn if I weren't doing the lst), and mainlining sounded way too intimidating for me, so I decided a spiral shape would be fun. Only, you know, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, lol. They're really doing great with it, and I have fan leaves growing down the stem and down the wooden sticks, with everything else spiraling up towards the light. It's kinda cool, but, yeah, different, lol.

I'm optimistic that they'll do great 🤞

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X