Help! Newbie with pale looking plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Help! Newbie with pale looking plants

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to growing. In fact I decided to try it because of being stuck at home in lockdown. I got some automatic seeds that I am trying to grow on my balcony (in northern France so it's still a bit chilly here).

Anyway, they seemed to be coming along quite nicely, although they have always been a bit on the pale side, but then today I come home and some of them are looking a lot worse.

I don't know how well you can see it on the pics, but they all seem a bit pale to me (compared to pics I've seen online) and some have a few splotches on the leaves. The one that's doing worst of all has suddenly become very pale and papery.

I'm using Plagron light mix soil, to which I added some Terra grow and Power Roots after about 10 days (following the Plagron grow chart). I lower my waters PH with vinegar. I have a PH and EC meter. The older plants are about 20 days old, the seedlings are about 10 days old. They're outdoors on my balcony getting some sun during the day, but I've been bringing them in on cold nights. It's been extremely windy lately so I've had to keep them indoors (near the window) more.

I'd be grateful for any help: how do they look to you? What's wrong with the ones that aren't looking so hot? What should I change? What should I do?

I hope I haven't screwed this up

Thanks!

Do you have any kind of perlite or leca in the soil ? And what about drainage in the pot. ?
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

You're right. The drainage isn't great. Especially for the plastic pots. And no, I didn't add perlite to the light mix (I asked the shop where I bought it and they said it already had enough in it....but I'm not sure). 😕
      You think thatsy issue? Any advice?

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        You need perlite mate. It can’t breathe
        I myself use plastic pots. But I have like 50-60 holes in the bottom of every pot.

The roots live on oxygen.
      Autos love airy soil. 30-40% needs to be perlite or leca
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I would start there and see if it’s get better for sure

Comment

so is there anything I can do now? Do you think it's worth trying to keep growing as is, or should I try and transplant them to airier soil?
          I'm really confused and afraid that I've wasted time and money 😕

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            If this was mine - I would add perlite and make a new soil with the perlite- you don’t have to kill it. And you can still use the soil that in it. Lots of good nutrients in the soil. But I’m afraid it won’t have a “good” life if it can’t get the access to oxygen and good drainage. Take it as an experience.
            When I started I killed all my first 10 plants. But I learned a lot from it.

Thanks so much for your help.
          When you say "add perlite and make a new soil", do you mean I should try and remove the plant, mix perlite with the soil and then put the plant back in?
          I don't really understand how I can add the perlite now? Is there some special technique?
          I'd really.like to try and save at least some of my plants.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            You need to make a new pot. You like a transplant into a new pot. You will stress it. But it’s better it’s a little stressed than a plant suffocating in a few weeks .
            You can try to take it up gently, have everything ready By hand, mix the perlite in the soil and put it back. But You need to be sure to have some soil around them, when they are bein takin up from the ground but it’s a rough method

The easiest is to make a new pot. For sure. And take the plant up with soil around the roots and into the new pot with soil/perlite mix of course

Comment

OK. Thanks so much. I will buy perlite tomorrow and try to do this. I hope it works! If not, I still have some extra seeds.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice to hear. Just post here again tomorrow if you have questions or anything else I’ll be happy to help as good a I can

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X