Help. Leaves beginning to curl downward and leave veins turning yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. Leaves beginning to curl downward and leave veins turning yellow

Hello, 5 days ago I began my first grow and I'm so excited. She has been growing great with outstanding performance. However, 2 days ago the leaves began to curl downward and I also noticed the veins on the leaves began to turn yellow/green. I'm very new to all this so I was wondering if I anyone could help me diagnose this issue. Ive looked at other post except they all relate to older plants.
    Grow Info:
    1) Strain:Blue Dream
    2) Water pH: 6.8
    3) Light: 3x 60w CFL bulbs approx 15cm from plant
    4) Temp: 78-82
    5) Soil: Natures Care Organic and Natural Potting Mix
    6) No nutrients used yet

6.8 is that the ph of the run off? to me that's a bit high especially for a young plant maybe try bringing the ph down a bit. I do mine above 5.5 but below 6 recommended by an awesome grower on here and it's worked great for me

Comment

• amanwiller
      amanwiller commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh that pH is just the water used to water the plant. Not the run off, have not checked that.

How much drainage you got in the pot ? Do it get oxygen enough for the roots? And 6,8 is a little high. Drop it to 6,4-6,0 and it will have no problem absorbing the nutrients in the soil. Phosphorus/ potassium is best absorbed in the range of 6,0. Nitrogen a little higher. My opinion
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• amanwiller
      amanwiller commented
      Editing a comment
      So ive been watering by using a spray bottle and I do that everyday. However ive never had any drainage assuming because I water in small, but many increments. Should I change my watering method?

drooping like that could be either overwatering or under watering (isn't growing fun?)...the colour is good so I would say let them dry out for a day or two and water again only if the top 1" of soil is dry. be careful not to overwater especially when they are babies. and don't give them any feeding for at least a month, your soil already has plenty of stuff in it (miracle grow!). good luck!

Comment

amanwiller Spray bottle is good. But I still need holes a lot of holes in the bottom so oxygen can reach the roots. Even in that small pot. Oxygen is everything 👍🏻 I always start in my final pots, and then I need to use a spray bottle. I spray mine for the first 3-4 weeks actually, but it’s because so I don’t overwater my plants.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• amanwiller
        amanwiller commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha, popped a bunch of holes in the cup, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Always at your service !👍🏻😎

Comment

Ok so a quick update and its not good. I have let my plant dry out for 3 days and it looks like its getting worse. Maybe im under watering? I dont know

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Picture bro.

• CaptainWiese91
          CaptainWiese91 commented
          Editing a comment
          But if it’s getting worse. And you dried it out. Then water. And maybe see if you have under watered it the whole time. But I have my skepticism on that. Because the first pictures. Doesn’t really looking under watered

It’s more easier to compare then from the old pictures you started with in the top of the topic

Comment

it's very possible the soil you are using - Natures Care Organic and Natural Potting Mix - is too hot i.e. has too many nutrients added by Miracle Grow...if a change in the watering pattern doesn't help I would try to repot into new soil, use regular potting soil with NO extra nutes added (not Miracle Grow). good luck!

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            Of course ! It could be the problem. But it doesn’t look like it’s getting too much Nutrition? Thanks for an input here for our grower duckman 👍🏻
            Last edited by CaptainWiese91; 05-10-2020, 01:32 PM.

Originally posted by amanwiller View Post
          Hello, 5 days ago I began my first grow and I'm so excited. She has been growing great with outstanding performance. However, 2 days ago the leaves began to curl downward and I also noticed the veins on the leaves began to turn yellow/green. I'm very new to all this so I was wondering if I anyone could help me diagnose this issue. Ive looked at other post except they all relate to older plants.
          Grow Info:
          1) Strain:Blue Dream
          2) Water pH: 6.8
          3) Light: 3x 60w CFL bulbs approx 15cm from plant
          4) Temp: 78-82
          5) Soil: Natures Care Organic and Natural Potting Mix
          6) No nutrients used yet
          I'd be potting these up as the easy way to correct this
          I'm not familiar with your compost but I'd be adding 30% perlite to the mix to improve drainage ..

look close at you leaves you will note they are growing Horizontal due to the light color of your cfl
          I see it as cool white about 6500 kelvin
          swap them out for warm whites at 2700 kelvin will encourage the hormones to entice much needed vertical growth
          unless you have plans of buying in a good grow light I'd be making a cfl array of 5-10 cfls at 25w each
          any more than 10 cfls then you are better getting a cheap/used 250w hps/led

once re potted and 2 weeks later if the veins have not cleared feed with a very light calmag

good luck

Comment

@CaptainWiese91

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              I really want to see this plant in like 3-4 days and see how it’s doing. duckman

• duckman
              duckman commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, I'm starting to think under watering at this point...

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe. One thing I know. My mind is tripping over this.

CaptainWiese91 I added some perlite but thats about it. I have been only using a spray bottle so far to water her.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have hard time to believe it maybe could be the transplant- because is was also in this condition before. 🧐
              Could be a cal-mag problem - but again my first grows I didn’t use cal-mag before after seeding stage. Yet now I use it from the very start now.
              But the stem is not wilting at all - so I don’t think it’s under watered. From the first pictures to these now - is it growing or completely stunned?

CaptainWiese91 Well thanks again for all your help. I guess I just wont water again for a day or two and see what happens.

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep it moist - they want high moisture in this stage - but not water completely with the spray bottle.
              Because it’s not dying right away - then it would be dead.

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tried everything I could - even kept reading yesterday on symptoms - because it’s tripping me I can’t diagnose this situation

CaptainWiese91 Sorry to bother you again, but you were very helpful. Just had one more question. Im going to do a new grow since this one is just getting worse and dying. What soil do you recommend that I can get from a local store like walmart or home depot?

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              Never been in Walmart 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m from Scandinavia.
              But I use totally normal tomato soil - from a normal garden store . It has the right PH in the soil and the right nutrients for the first 3-4 weeks.

You don’t bother me👍🏻

• Canuck147
              Canuck147 commented
              Editing a comment
              Buy soil with perlite - don't buy any hot soil

• CaptainWiese91
              CaptainWiese91 commented
              Editing a comment
              This tomato soil I’m using isn’t hot soil.
              It’s it’s low on nutrients. But enough for the 3-4 weeks for a cannabis plant. I used this it all my life

Hey y’all. Just wanted to give an update on the grow. Seems it’s doing a whole lot better despite the bottom leaves being pretty much completely dead and brown tips on the second leaves. Anyone know if I should do anything about this?

Comment

• Sudsnbuds
              Sudsnbuds commented
              Editing a comment
              I always cut those bottom leaves off anyways, the plant doesn’t need them. It looks like an early nute burn.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X