Chlorine/Chloramine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chlorine/Chloramine removal

Have been wondering about products that remove chlorine/chloramine from tap water. I haven't seen anyone on this forum say anything at all about using fresh-water aquarium products for chlorine removal. I wonder if they are or may be harmful to the plants or people? Also, saw a post today from Damngrower that mentions Ecothrive Nuetralise. That looks interesting.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

All I can say is, I've never worried about it, but when the water gets warm during the hottest summer months, I put it in buckets and let it sit overnight. That will get rid of the chlorine, I believe. It's never been a problem for my plants...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Willyd
      Willyd commented
      Editing a comment
      I aerate my tap water to remove chlorine as well works great and its free lol. I just fill up a 4L jug and let it get to room temp that changes the chlorine to a gas and it begins to evaporate.

Neutralise is relatively new as far as I understand it, I had been prepping the water 24 hours in advance before finding it. Never considered aquarium products but I've never kept fish so I didn't really know there were any.
    The chlorine in tap water isn't really bad for the plants, but it does play havoc with the microbes in the soil which can slow nutrient uptake.

Comment

• golfnrl
      golfnrl commented
      Editing a comment
      I started my current grow using super soil and water only. The soil maker's recommendation was to use RO or mineral water only to avoid the chlorine and chloramine because they kill the microbes in the soil. I tried to get around the RO/mineral water requirement by using a carbonated filter and letting the water sit in a 5gal bucket for 24 hrs. I think the water damaged my soil as I began to have nutrient deficiencies. So I've been curious about chlorine removal.

Throw it in a 5 gallon pail with an aquarium pump with a diffuser in the water
    Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
    sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
    4 plants currently under 500w
    2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
    GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
    Happy growing/consuming 🥴
    Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

I've been filling a 5 gallon bucket with tap water and then immediately giving it aquarium chlorine removal (5 drop) then giving it 5 teaspoons of Calimagic and let it sit at least an hour before nutes and pH test. Never been a problem.

Comment

golfnrl I had the same question not too long ago and went out and bought a filter called the boogie blue plus it connects to your hose and the carbon filter cleans it from heavy metals chlorine and chloramine which is the real problem in living soil. The chlorine will evaporate I guess is the word over night but the chloramine will not. Anyways someone made a post here and I learned they clean their water of chloramine with vitamin C. I bought it on Amazon just a pinch of that powder will clean 1 gallon of water in 10 mins. So go on Amazon or where ever you like and get vitamin c powder (Ascorbic acid) I believe it’s called. Here is a pic of what I was able to find in these times where everybody and their momma wants to dose up on vitamin c. It takes about 40mg I believe it said to clean 1 gallon of water. Google vitamin c or ascorbic acid to clean water of chloramine and it should pop up. No need for the filter I found out about the vitamin c right after I got the filter which i guess is not a bad thing because it filter other bad shitin the water.
        Attached Files

Comment

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Cali...I actually have the Boogie filter. Still usin' it. I like it but my guess is it was the chlorimine that damaged my living soil. Had not heard about using ascorbic acid. Sounds interesting. I wonder how it affects the PH?

golfnrl from my understanding it doesn’t but then again I don’t check. I grow in living soil and so far this grow has been showing no issues. Maybe if you do check it let me know how it affects it or not?

Comment

• Cali
          Cali commented
          Editing a comment
          Also I thought the boogie blue plus was supposed to clean water of Chloramines? That’s what they claim at least. I think 80% but if it affected your soil it’s not enough. Glad I found the vitamin c. Looks to be working.

The "Prime" brand of chlorine/chloramine removal neutralizes both. It also detoxifies heavy metals and ammonia and nitrites/nitrates. It is an aquarium water "conditioner". Dead simple cheap and doesn't take up any counter space. I get mine at Pet Smart or the other pet big box store. 2 drops per gallon. Done deal. I use coco but those of you that are using soil may want to give it a try. It sure sounds like it would simplify things for you.

Comment

• ChefSheri
          ChefSheri commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, smoorman ! I've been mixing my nutes and bennies with filtered water from my fridge dispenser, but damn, those filters can get pricey over time. But they did remove chlorine/chloramine as tested with pool test strips. I don't know about the rest, but they sound like "don't wants." Thank you for the cheap tip -- there's a Pet Smart right next to my grocery store!

My local grow shop turned me onto Microbe Life Dechlorinator +. My town water contains chloramine, which does not evaporate like chlorine. I use it in organic soil @ .5ml/gallon.

Comment

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          Thx for the tip dkong399...my local grow shop had the Microbe Life Dechlorinator. I picked up some today.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X