Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 62 degrees too cold for lights out? IN NEED OF HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 62 degrees too cold for lights out? IN NEED OF HELP!!!

I am currently on my second grow in my basement. I am trying to get rid of my radiant heater that turns on at lights out in order to save money. My tent stays at 72 with the lights on and drops to 62 - 61 at lights out. Is this too low? I have combed through many forums looking for a definitive answer and have not been able to find one. I am at the point where I am going to switch to flower and am trying to get things dialed in. Also... I am growing Aurora Indica so I am assuming an indica heavy strain would be more cold tolerant. Any input would be appreciated.

You can probably get by as long as you're growing an indica. 75 might be a better daytime high and mid 60s might be a little better for faster growth though.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

The type of lighting you're using makes a difference in what temp the room needs to be.
      HPS& CMH needs to be in the mid 70's because of the thermal effect of the IR those fixtures emit.
      Leds need to run warmer, usually in the low 80's to get best growth.
      When you have big swings in temps in promotes PM forming, so keep your humidity in check.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

My flower tent gets down to 62F when the lights are off. It's probably slowing growth but it's not causing the ladies any visible stress or harm based on leaf color. My nugs aren't bulking up much though, not sure if the low temps are to blame for that. I'm growing autos in soil under QBs FWIW. I think for both of us 10 degrees warmer would be ideal, but it's not going to hurt anything where it's at.

Comment

I've experienced mid-50's with lights out during winter. It probably slowed some development but honestly I still had good results. Ideally the temp swing would be about 15 degrees but, sometimes 'ideally' doesn't show up.
          Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

I dont think thats a problem..im on my second basement grow and my temps are yours exactly...lol 71-73 degrees lights on and 61 degrees lights out. Indicas,sativas and hybrids. My first indoor grow was in my garage with high temps all around. Upper 80s lights on and upper 70s lights out. I havent noticed a difference in yield as both hot and cool grow resulted in over 1lb of dried buds. Good luck..you'll be fine
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

Tent
            Bruce Banner
            Kushy Kush
            2Cookies and cream

Comment

• goroth
              goroth commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats good to hear. Thanks for the reply homegrown

I am growing outside, the temps have dropped to 31*F and all I did was cover them, there are pics in the growing trees thread. One I forgot to cover (a male) and did get frost burn on 1 leave, but I washed him off with water before the sun came up..

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I am still a newbie and trying to decipher all the information that is out there on the internet

Comment

Does anybody else have some input?

Comment

Dude..your good with those temps...im doing it right now..lol
                  Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
                  Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
                  6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
                  Canna Coco/perlite
                  General Hydroponics Flora Series
                  Cal/Mag.

Tent
                  Bruce Banner
                  Kushy Kush
                  2Cookies and cream

Comment

• goroth
                    goroth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like an amazing grow. Im gonna have to take that as proof. Thanks for the pics HG

Temperatures in the low 60s shouldn't be terrible as long as your plants are germinated. The ideal temp range for cannabis is anywhere from 70ºF to 85ºF for veg and 65ºF to 80ºF for flower. Flowering plants actually likes cooler temps and lower humidity. I would say as long as you're above freezing, they will be okay. They may be a bit slow growing due to the cold but they shouldn't die. I live in Western Colorado and we have temperature swings of over 40ºF from the day to the night during the summer months. Typically my daytime temps during this time of year are in the upper 80s where as the night time temps can drop down to the mid to low 50s. My strategy to help fight that was to try to determine what times were the hottest and what times were the lowest then I ran my light during the lower times as much as possible and had it shut off during the peak heat. This was extremely effective when temps reached over 107ºF during the day then dropping to the low 60s at night for my last grow. Obviously this isn't possible on a 24 hour light schedule but 18hr and 12hr schedules are easy to calculate. For me, the hottest part of the day is from 1:00pm to 7:00pm so I had my light shut off then and turn back on the rest of the time (18hr schedule). Likewise, you can do the opposite to ensure you keep it warm enough. Obviously this is impossible for outdoor grows so you can add warmth by covering the plants with some fairly heavy clear plastic. This will help trap the warmth and humidity. Just don't leave them covered if you're in flowering phase or you will risk mold. Hope that helps. I know I rambled there for a while.
                  Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
                  Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X