coco questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coco questions

Hello all; I'm wondering about hydrating coco. I've seen a guy on youtube that says you should rinse out as much of the fine stuff ( I guess it's called "peat" ) as you can but what I've read on GWE doesn't mention anything about that. Do you think it's necessary to do that? Winter time in Canada I don't really want all that crap going down my drain.

Not necessary. I ‘flushed’ mine once before using. That’s all. One plant I forgot flush so it’s just from bag to pot and it’s totally fine.

Comment

depends on the kind of coco you get, if you buy bagged coco its ready to use, if you buy bricks or any other non branded coco you will need to do some soaking with calmag or hard well water to leach out salts before using, otherwise you will have issues. you can do one pot at a time or you can fill a tote from home depot and make a big batch, you need to soak for 24, then remove that water and add fresh water and calmag, after another 24 hours discard the water and let it drain for a few hours, move it around to make sure its moist but aerated and then its ready to use, if you store the left over coco its good to open the container every few days and make sure water its not accumulating inside, you can leave open the container or leave the coco to dry if you want

Comment

Thats pretty much what I did but I did flush a lot of the fine stuff out. The plant are doing WAY better in coco then the first two crops in soil. So, 9fingerleaf, It's sounding like you don't bother to flush the peat out then? I'm just trying to save a little time and possible clogged drain next time. The product was Mother Earth 5kg brick.
        Last edited by biforco; 04-23-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I must say when you dump water after soakings most of that fine dust gets washed away if you pour the water out holding back the coco, the heaviest sediment will accumulate like sand on the bottom and i dump that too, but I don’t really bother or think about that, focus on a good soak and a good drain. You want the coco to look moist but when you grab a hand full and squeeze only a few drops come out. If the coco it’s too wet it can get low on oxygen and have issues

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X