Nitrogen toxicity in organic soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrogen toxicity in organic soil

Hi! I was wondering if maybe someone here could help me with this problem I'm having with one of my four plants.
    It's a GSC from Seedstockers that I am growing in organic soil (BioCanna Terra plus), feeding with the (organic) BioTerra line and keeping to their moderate feeding schedule.
    This is my third grow with same setup and my plants have always grown healthy green leaves. I always grow different strains and so the shade of green always varies.
    This plant was dark green but not necessarily darker green than other plants I've had. Little over a week ago however I noticed that her buds aren't developing properly. She will have had 5 weeks of (visible) blooming tomorrow, and although she has a lot of well ventilated, well lighted bud sites, the buds aren't filling out at all. Now that I had noticed this, I also noticed that the leaves were quite shiny so this lead me to conclude that, although I haven't seen any clawing, my plant is suffering from Nitrogen toxicity.
    I thought it wasn't possible to overfeed your plants with organic nutes, but even then I'm sure I haven't exaggerated with the feeding nor did I overwater. Never had any Ph problems before with dechlorinated tap.
    I am doing this grow 'no till' (bc I was lazy and cheap) for the first time. Can the excess N come from the roots I left in the soil?
    I added some compost worms to all of my plants and found some of them dead in the trays the next week? Can decomposing worm be the cause of the N? And if so, will flushing help since I won't be able to flush a dead worm out? And IF I flush how big are the chances of drowning my plant?

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I grow indoor in a 2x2 with 14L (4gal?) pots under a Sanlight Q4W led. Temp and humidity would be in metrics, I assure you it's ok.

It's the plant in the bottom right corner. Next to it is a Black Widow that is the same age, whose buds are developing properly. The seeds are not from seedstockers though but housebrand of a trusted seedbank.
    Attached Files

Comment

If she is well drained flushing should not hurt, dispose of the overflow.
      One can certainly get organics to hot, chicken shit is supper hot!
      The worms composting will make some N I am sure, it wont last long and they will be eaten up. I added rabbit poo this year, and the sacks of it were full of worms (which were mixed right in!). It would have to be terabley hot for the worms to be killed, more likely the soil dried more than they like and they went looking for moisture. OR the soil was to wet and they went looking for a dry place.
      I stir the tiny roots in removing only the big stuff (whatever came as I pulled the plant), I am sure that the roots will release a tiny amount of N as they decompose.
      Last edited by Rwise; 04-22-2020, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Chicken (& any animal that eats corn) shit will burn plants if it's not composted. Rabbit can be used fresh.

Not sure she's that well drained. I had been under the impression before that earth had been compacted maybe a little too much bc of the no till, that's why I added the worms in the first place. The soil stays wet longer than my other plants already so a bit worried about doing that.
      Looking at the pics, do you agree that N-excess could be the cause, or is that 'unbelievable'? Thanks for your input anyway!

Comment

N could be a bit high, a bit late for these girls but add 1/3 perlite to the grow medium (soil) for drainage and air in the soil. With hard soil the roots have to fight to get into it, I always fluff the soil (add new ingredients) each time.
        I did 4 GSC clones and dropped then in my (very hot) soil to have then die fast, some strains dont like hot soil at all. All my others are doing well on this soil (1/3 rabbit poo, 1/3 leaves well ground, a bit of sand, blood and bone meal, sulfur, dolomite, and perlite)
        Can you feed them something 0,1,1 or similar?

Comment

Interesting; I was looking what the N-properties of molasses are, to see if I could use that as 0-1-1 (isn't that a banana peel in water basically?) as you suggested and found this site: https://www.natureswayresources.com/...rtilizer16.pdf . I took a screenshot if you don't want to read all of it but according to this if I slightly overdose the plant on molasses it should lower N-levels drastically.

Attached Files

Comment

Thats interesting, and I did not know that, now to prove it,.

Comment

Just gave her 3x the recommended amount of 1tsp/gal, so I'll get back to you on that.
              I do believe this CAN work; I gave my plants too much molasses my last grow and it did result in the bottom leaves of one plant yellowing and dying shortly thereafter. Something I know now might've very well been a sign of the N-deficit. The plant recovered by itself and it didn't hurt its yield visibly so I tried to mimick what I did back then. It IS probably too late to still get a decent harvest out of this girl, but on the other hand if this experiment kills her it won't be a great loss.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X