There are seeds in my buds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are seeds in my buds

I popped three Durban Poison fem seeds back in January. Two were great, but one was a runt. When they were big enough, I transferred the two larger ones into the grow tent, but left the runt in the seedling tent (I changed the lighting from T5 to LED). The runt was healthy, just smaller than the others - small plant, small leaves. It did grow but not fast. I topped it, pruned it and trained it as I did the others. The two larger plants are fabulous and close to harvest - no seeds. However, the buds on the runt are full of seeds. There have never been any male plants in my grow room. I assume the runt went hermi on me, but I'm not sure why. My question is this: Is there any difference between the harvest protocol for seeded buds, as compared to sensi buds? Also, do you think the seeds are viable? Will they produce half male, half female plants? Any other thoughts you have are appreciated. Stay safe.
    2'X4' Nursery tent with Mars Hydro SP150 LED
    5'X5' Grow tent with 2 Mars Hydro SP3000 LEDs
    Fox Farm soil and nutes
    Rain water

The runt was just serious about passing on it inferior genetics! Check your trichomes as you would for the sensimilla plants. The flower will not be as potent as the seedless, but still smokeable. You might experiment with the seeds, but isolated from your good plants.

Comment

You harvest and dry/cure exactly the same but if you want ripe seeds you may need to wait a bit longer before you chop her down depending on how late pollination happened. Can you share some pictures? If you give them time to ripen they should be viable and will be feminized.

Here's what ripe seeds in a living plant look like. Look for swollen calyxes that have split a bit revealing the seed and usually as the seeds get ripe the edges of the calyx will turn yellow/brown.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripe seeds in living plant.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	394351

In this pic I gently insert the toothpick to expose more of the seed, really showing the color and stripes which tells me this seed at least is good to go and if I find that many of the calyxes are turning brown like this one that my harvest window in relation to making viable seeds is now open and I will chop within a few days usually.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripe seed in living plant 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	760.0 KB
ID:	394352

Comment

Nice photos! Thanks!
        If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

Thanks for the help, FBL. The pictures are great. The seeds are turning, but not ripe yet. It is springtime and the turkeys are gobbling in the south. I'll make some pictures and post them when I return from the woods. Thanks again.
          2'X4' Nursery tent with Mars Hydro SP150 LED
          5'X5' Grow tent with 2 Mars Hydro SP3000 LEDs
          Fox Farm soil and nutes
          Rain water

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X