Current heat stress and potential heat stress of the upcoming summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current heat stress and potential heat stress of the upcoming summer

I want to ask if anybody gives up indoor growing due to the high temps in the summertime.
    In my case, June, July and August are usually very hot, could be 30-35 ℃ (86-95℉) in the daytime for several weeks in the row.
    Even in May and September, there are also pretty hot days.
    Additionally, 250 W HPS in my tent raises the temperature a few degrees.
    These conditions are far beyond optimal.
    I know that heat stress hurts yields and quality.

Right now, at the beginning of April, I have a problem managing temps even though I have a cool tube connected through ducting to exhaust fan.
    I have an oscillating fan inside a tent.
    On upper leaves, I see symptoms of heat stress even though the highest temperature I noticed was about 28-29 ℃ (82-84 ℉) (flowering phase).
    I suppose that the curling of leaves I see on my plants is caused not by temp alone but because of quite low humidity.
    My humidifier at its maximum output allows reaching barely 30% RH.
    If now those 2 parameters are beyond optimal range, how bad could it be in the summer?

So my question is: Is air conditioning in grow room an only reasonable solution?

Other ideas are:
    1. Adding a second humidifier and second oscillating fan
    2. Replacing my exhaust fan with one with higher efficiency
    3. Growing some heat resistant strains
    Which strains would you advise? I read that Sativa is doing better than Indica in hot conditions.
    Is there any significant difference between autos and photoperiods with respect to the resistance of hot and dry air?
    4. Moving up the lights, which I currently did. 250 W HPS was about 40 cm(16') from the top of plants for few days but today I noticed curling so I moved it on a distance of 55 cm (22')
    5. If I would choose to grow photoperiod plants this summer, below lights schedule could help improve:

VEG (18/6)
    from 11 am to 17 am (hottest hours) Lights OFF
    from 17 am to 11 am Lights ON

FLOWERING 12/12 (lights ON in the evening, during the night and early morning)
    from 9:00 to 21:00 Lights OFF
    from 21:00 to 9:00 Lights ON

Or maybe should I just go with it and accept that results of growing during the long hot summer will be worse than in the autumn, winter and early spring?

What is your knowledge and experience in this matter?

Please confirm if what you see on the attached photos actually is the initial stage of heat stress.
    These 3 ladies are autos (2x Critical+ 2.0 and 1x Auto Jack Herrer, all Dinafem).
    Attached Files

Myself I am legal, I grow my big crop outside, the temps here can swing a lot up to 110*F. I cant say I like the heat, but if I chose the right strains they handle it. I read others having issues with pests outside, I have those problems inside, outside I have predator bugs that care for the girls.
    Look at these, Happy Growing!
    https://www.growweedeasy.com/example...nnabis-strains
    https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog...-climates-n218
    https://www.seed-city.com/cannabis-s...8hXCLar3vPiQ74

Comment

Try and put the tent in a smaller room you can easily shut the door and throw a 150$ AC in the window. That's where I'm headed in the summer. Keep the temps around 20'c max low 17.
      Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
      sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
      4 plants currently under 500w
      2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
      GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
      Happy growing/consuming 🥴
      Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

Last summer was the first summer I grew indoors and it was stressful. This year I am choosing to shutdown everything end of spring because I personally don't think the extra aggravation and cost associated with a dehumidifier and air conditioner (more than 3000w combined) is worth it. Summer should be spent relaxing, and vacationing!

If you're only growing for personal use then I would say it's really easy to grow enough cannabis to last the entire summer.

Growing in the winter and fall is amazing. Clean, dry, fresh air from outdoors pumps into the grow space free of charge and the ladies can get cold enough to pull out the purple hues.
        Up next:
        [Insert your recommendation here]

Comment

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep bring out the purple. My tent goes from 25 daily to 14 ish at night. Vented in from the back storage. Fans and exhaust running 24 7. My tent will go into the back storage for the summer as it stays about 20 celsius all summer back there. Basement is an option. I've seen people grow year round in an attic with the right set up. My plants will be in big enough pots to go out to the trailer for 4 or 5 days give or take. Was looking into an auto watering system but I don't need it. Haven't in 5 years.

AK-47 and Acapulco Gold are strains I have had good luck with in the heat of Oklahoma summers. I grow in 5 gallon hydroponics buckets with led lights. I keep the air moving. It grows but not as well as in fall and winter. Good luck.
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X