Temp Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Control

I have a 6x8 insulated grow shed. I'm using a carbon filter moving over 400 cfm.
    Can I maintain temp inside the shed with a portable a/c unit. What would be airflow concerns?
    This shed is outdoors in Texas.
    First time grower.

You should be able to use the ac unit.. you just need to make sure you maintain a flow of air in and out of the tent but it doesn’t have to be constant just enough to get fresh air as needed

food for thought though better the air flow easier to keep temps down..

Comment

Do exhaust outside the shed, Don't vent which will suck in hot outside air. Keep everything contained inside the insulated shed, turn on the a/c and slam the door.
      Last edited by PRIMO; 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I’d suggest a vent on top of the shed with a carbon filter and an intake fan on the bottom you can use the ac but plants need carbon dioxide to breath and they produce o2 so if they don’t get fresh air from time to time it would be the same as if you were sitting in a fully sealed room.. eventually you will suffocate (it’s my belief that ac air isn’t as good as fresh air but that’s my opinion)

Comment

Do I need to install an intake air vent on my shed if carbon filter and a/c are both vented inside shed? Do I need to vent the portable a/c to the outside?

Comment

A/C is only going to cool the air. It will not provide fresh air for the plants and fresh air is a must. Your fan/filter mounted up high will pull hot air out and you want air intake(s) down low. You might get away with just openings that will allow fresh air to be pulled in by the exhaust fan or you can have an intake fan to pull air in. Your fan's CFM should be high enough to exchange all the air in your space about every 3 minutes. That space is measured in cubic feet so L x W x H
            Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              What he said. Fresh air and good circulation are crucial for top shelf bud.

Hey ElHefe, How hot does that shed get down there in Texas? Last summer i grew in my garage and eventually needed to add a portable A/C unit to keep temps under 100f. Here's some things to consider..Yes, the A/C unit needs to vent outside(smell and heat) expense(sucker isnt cheap running 24-7) and as far as venting..i think you'll be ok unless your shed is sealed tighter than a drum. Another thing i dealt with in a garage/shed grow is humidity fluctuations..they were all over the place.
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

Comment

What @homegrown said, sure they need some co.2 to live but they don't need a dump truck full of it, they need like a beer can of it. Opening the door every couple of days to water them,although we know you'll be peeking in more often, that will allow plenty of fresh air in. And yes vent the a/c outta the shed,and no you don't need to cut a hole to let air in. Oh yeah, bug bomb the shit out of the shed before you set up. I've scraped enough of those Texas size critters off my iron, If the bomb doesn't work use a 12 ga. blow off their landing gear and they'll die crash landing

Comment

• ElHefe
                ElHefe commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotta say Primo, I like the way you think.

If you window mount or wall mount a standard AC unit, the hot exhaust from the unit should go outside. The cooled air should go inside. This should supply fresh air for the plants. Not sure of the efficiency of portable units but they definitely generate some heat. You should be able to carbon filter vent to the outside without using the filter fan. The positive pressure from the AC cooled air should push the sweet smelling air out through the filter. Every motor or anything electrical in the shed will be generating heat. Vent through the roof if possible. If you go with a wall mounted unit, mount it on the shady side of the grow shed. I welcome any comments or suggestions on this as I have a candidate shed in my backyard that may someday be a grow room. If the smell is really good, compress it and send it to me. I love the smell of cannabis in the morning. If it's a diesel smell kinda reminds me of napalm or jet fuel.

Comment

A shed that's not insulated in the TX heat and humidity (or aridity if you're up in the panhandle) is not an ideal place to grow cannabis. Your electric bill will go way up. An air-conditioned room in the house is much safer and will produce better bud. If you can't control temp, humidity, and air circulation for the different needs of vegetation and flowering, your bud won't be as good as it can be grown in an ideal enviroment. These factors are just too important.

I always say, growing weed isn't all that easy, and it's expensive, depending on your climate...
                Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

The boss said his shed is insulated.

Comment

• ElHefe
                    ElHefe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Again, you get an "atta boy" Primo.

Hey Primo,
                  Do I have to vent the carbon filter exhaust, or can I re-circulate inside the shed?
                  Shed is 6x8, well insulated.
                  Carbon filter moves 427 cfm.

Comment

• Daskahn
                    Daskahn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m not primo but I’d suggest exhausting it out of the shed so it will keep air mixtures and a more desirable level.. if you vent the air into the shed eventually you may get an oxygen build up

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X