Heat or nutrient burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat or nutrient burn?

Recently moved my plants into bigger 1gal pots with a small pocket of jifft young plant mix in the middle and the remainder promix organic soil. I also added a tiny sprinkle of bonemeal as I was told it's good for the preflowering stage. They were about 3 weeks old, now we are close to 4 weeks and I am seeing some discoloration in the leafs. I assumed I overdid it with the nutrients but one of the leafs is also bending up as if it was a heat issue. I monitor heat pretty closely and dont let it get above 30. What do you guys think? I'm a first time grower so I appreciate any advice haha
    Attached Files

Why don't you tell us what is in the jifft plant mix. What's your ph?

​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Ooops I guess I should include that haha.

60-70% peat moss, perlite, coir pith, worm castings, volcanic clay and lime for ph adjustment

My other mix for older plants is peat moss, peat humus, compost, perlite, gypsum, lime, organic fertilizer and gha297.

Checked a few days ago ph sits just under 7. How often should I be checking?

Thank you!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you got bugs look closer at leaf very tiny white speaks on them. Are those auto flower? It's not a very big container for them. Maybe this is just waiting for larger container? Peat moss does nothing but retain moisture, i'd replant it with more perlite.

No these aren't autoflowers, these are seeds I got from a friend who grew last year and had a Male in the mix so he had a ton of seeds. My plan was to keep them in 1 gallon pots until I can tell if they are male or female and then toss the males and pot the females into 3-5 gallon pots.

I see what you mean about the white spots in the image. No matter how hard I try I dont see anything in person. I wet a leaf and rubber it off with a q-tip and took another picture and it still has the white spots... not sure if this means anything haha.

I have another mix with less peat moss and more peat humus and a little more perlite, would that be an improvement or would I be better off buying some perlite and mixing in some more?

Thanks again 😊

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it with the 1gal for M-F. Careful those are spider mites I think.

Also, do you recommend any pesticides I can use that are easy to find? Or any natural remedies?
      The only perlite I have found in stores here in Ontario in the winter is the miracle grow stuff and I've been told to stay away from that that's the main reason I haven't added any into my mixed

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        IF its pure perlite its ok, also the veggie blend MG is ok as I have read.

Spinosad or Captain Jacks is organic and considered safe to harvest
      The white spots not washing off would mean it is not WPM, do you have a 30X lens to look at them with?

Comment

I do have a microscope I can tear a little piece off and take s look after work lol. The miracle grow perlite has their stupid fertilizer in it so I may have to buy online.
        where do you guys usually buy your pesticides? I'm guessing online also?

I should also mention that I may have had the light to close to the plants and I read somewhere that may also cause white spots? I moved it up a few inches but I think I'll still gonna inspect via microscope later 👍

Comment

• Jordann
          Jordann commented
          Editing a comment
          The ferts in the miracle grow perlite are nothing atall to worry about. Has less than one heavy feeding or GH nutes. The ferts on the MG wash off real quick with watering. Nothing to worry about. Used it for years as a substitute when I couldn't find or was too lazy to look for anything else. No problem.

I've heard good things about neem oil as well. Any experience with that?

Comment

Dont use neem on buds, veg is fine, some have had problems CHS/CVS google it.
          I get my stuff all local, but we have great supply shops in Tulsa Oklahoma for these products. Any garden center should have this stuff it is used on veggies as well (A note on the Captian Jacks-> Dead Bug, they have other products). Where you can get supplies depends on where in the world you live.

Comment

Yea here in ontario Canada it's hard to find anything until our garden centers open in april or may haha. Ah well I will find something. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here at this time of year Lenny. I tried finding a bat quano but won't be in till April who knows now?

• OlderNOTwiser
              OlderNOTwiser commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, Lenny, could you update us on the microscope exam and whether you found a resolution to the bug issue if that was the cause?

Sorry for the late update. I never did find evidence of bugs but I sprayed pesticidal soap on them just to be safe which actually damaged a few leaves which I quickly trimmed to allow it to focus recovery. Fyi guys dont spray soap on sunny days. The plant recovered extremely well and grew rapidly once recovered so even though I didn't see any it was likely a bug issues.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to hear Lenny

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X