Stem splitting to stress last week before harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stem splitting to stress last week before harvest

Have any members tried stem splitting at the base of the plant and inserting wooden skewers to keep the split open to encourage trichome production and enhanced terpenoids? I have not. But have heard that some growers do it successfully. However, one time on an outside guerilla grow I went to harvest and found a major branch dangling by about 1/3 of the branch and it had cured to a nice reddish gold color, smelled real hashy-spicy, super sticky and dense hard buds. When friends saw it and tried it they were spoiled and wanted it over the unbroken, normal green plant even after it had been cured by conventional means. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by Korn; 03-16-2020, 04:35 AM.
    If you bend you will be less likely to break.

I have broken limbs and some died, some didn't, I certainly smoked the gold! I carried water in to a single plant that was so sparkly you could see it for a mile, damn rabbit cut it down, it too was gold when I returned.

Comment

• Korn
      Korn commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope you were able to salvage it. Rabbits were my worst pest outdoors. Deer nibbled and pruned a bit for me but rabbits have ringed the entire trunk and killed several nice plants. Hardware cloth 24” tube helped but also makes things more visible. Painted it camouflage n Piled up some branches to break up outline and it worked.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      yes it was good, though I cant say it had the best flavor

Interesting concept.. I may try it one day to see if it works.. I like to experiment on my extras... muahaha but I personally think the best methods are the ones that happen or could happen naturally.. top of plant eaten.. limbs broken off... all possible.. and in general all increase yield.. so I could see that being true..

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I have seen plants split open in nature, it happens.

A grower on YouTube by the name of kaligrownbudz drills a hole into the stem before harvest may want to check out his channel and look for that video or 2 he has in that subject. He shows how to doit and what time, it’s outdoors so the stem are more like tree logs.

Comment

• Daskahn
      Daskahn commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you add a link to the video?

I've only done it like Daskahn said mine are on accident but once taped back close to split didn't seem to hurt them at all.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X