Questions on Bonsai-ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Bonsai-ing

Due to space and lighting I’m considering developing Bosai plants indoors in order to procure clones for outdoors. I’ve read a few sites on the subject and while some make it sound easy, others not so much.

To those of you who have been successful with this, I’d have a few questions:

-Can I start a bonsai from seed?
    -What’s the minimum /maximum pot size?
    -Will Blueberry Indica work?

I’m sure I’ll come up with more questions later. I appreciate your input and expertise.

I'm not the one to ask but theres a few folks here that do outstanding Bonsai I've seen them. Can I ask you how tall your set up is and your lights? So many folks to quadline . Have to ever done clones? I like to take them at at least 4" length late veg to early preflower. Good luck someone will come along with the answers your looking for.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Im by no means an expert but I did a couple of bonzais this winter while waiting to set up my grow room. I used 2x24 t5s and autoflower seeds. Will probably work as good or better with photos.

This is how they turned out, could have done more LST though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200301_091811.jpg Views:	0 Size:	819.6 KB ID:	384430

Those pots were like 3-5 liters I think and I grew them from seeds.
      Indoor grow. LED, Soil. Autos.

Outdoor grow. Autos, fem's, bagseeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...944-grow-diary

Comment

Yes you can start from seed.
        I like a half gallon.
        any plant can be a bonsai.
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

You can use any plant as a mother. Seedlings are easier to manipulate but clones can be more fun watching which branches will make for a good clone site.

Comment

• Daskahn
            Daskahn commented
            Editing a comment
            Autos are terrible mother plants..

• JDU
            JDU commented
            Editing a comment
            This is true. If I missed the part where this is an auto then no- don't clone it.
            Last edited by JDU; 03-16-2020, 01:56 AM.

A non auto quadlined plant would probably make a pretty good mother plant quadlining would keep the size down.. and give plenty opportunities for clones.. just make sure it’s not an auto lol
          that being said I’ve read that closer to the stem make for better clones.. also in my experience certain strains are better for cloning.. and makes clone real easy.. although a lot less helpful

Comment

• Daskahn
            Daskahn commented
            Editing a comment
            If you quadlined a plant where are the clipping at? The center of the plant.. you also then have the remaining sites closer to the main stem... so it seems like you disagreed with me then agreed..

• JDU
            JDU commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I think I misunderstood you & confused us both. I was referring to clones from the bottom of the plant. My faves are 1/2 way up the branch & yes they would obviously come from the stem so my bad again.

Lots of good info. I appreciate it. I’ll be growing them in a sunroom facing south. For good measure I’m considering a small investment on overhead lights. I imagine I won’t need a lot of power? Five plants would be my max.

Thanks again.

Comment

Questions about pot sizes:
            -Pots being so small (.5 to 1gal) could I not germinate in said pots?
            -And would root-bound be an issue to be concerned about?

Comment

Most of These plants are over a year old in the same pot, if you use Sq pots you can trim the roots and repot.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20200307_222147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	384817Click image for larger version  Name:	20200316_153959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	384818
              You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• GreenState
                GreenState commented
                Editing a comment
                Took me a second look to see that joint wedged in the branches! (lol)
                Purdy plant

• Daskahn
                Daskahn commented
                Editing a comment
                Are these mother plants or have you flowered and reveged?

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                Daskahn
                There is 1 reveg tucked in the group due the lost of the OG mother, the rest are from seed and have only had there Clones grown out to flower.

Genetic drift is a thing

Generic drift?

Comment

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                If you repeatedly cut a clone off a clone off a clone off clone off a clone you can get what it's known as genetic drift, the plant will change, loss of potency, erratic abnormal growth. You have what is know as genotype and phenotype, one is the genetic makeup and two is the genetic expression to the environment, plant have dominant and dormant genes.

It is best to keep your first Generation Plant for a mother, second generation will work just fine too but down the line genetic drift can become a reality.
                Last edited by Mr.furley; 03-17-2020, 04:37 PM.

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                True story.
                It's got another name- I'm havin another brain fart but I THINK it's delinial degeneration?? Or degredation? Jr High was a LOOOONG time ago. I couldn't find it right away but I did come across this page that explains Mendelizm perfectly hobart.k12.in.us

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                No wait. That's when you line breed too long & need to out cross for hybrid vigor. But Genetic drift or regenerative mutation is def a thing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X