• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    And she sure looks happy now good job.

• JDU
    commented on 's reply
    Finger test is fine for some. I have so many fans going they dry out the top way before the roots are dry. I wait until the leaves droop hard between waterings. I water every day but never the same plants.

• JDU
    replied
    Learnin is part of improvin.
    Now learn from my mistakes & take my advise- one of the worst things you can do is give a plant that is almost dry & ready for a waterin the last little bit of a jug when you feed/water those who are ready. Let each one completely dry in it's own time. Dump that leftover jug on the roses or fruit trees.

Leave a comment:

• Sc0tt
    replied
    Thanks to all who gave me the valuable advice. I am happy to say things are looking better. She's finally stabilized and looking much better. A lesson learned the hard way...

Leave a comment:

• Sc0tt
    replied
    Yes the pots felt light. I put my finger in the soil and it did feel dry and leaves were beginning to claw so I know it was pretty dry. And again this morning it felt dry I gave it another small amount of water and it is starting to come back. I was afraid to water it again after it drooped so badly but it sees like it needs water. I guess its soft to start watering normally again?

Leave a comment:

• Jordann
    commented on 's reply
    What she said

• Jordann
    commented on 's reply
    It's not thirsty yet no doubt, I have abot 40% perlite in my mix with some other airy soils promix, cactus soil, perlite, tropical soil, mycorrhizae and a few others. Mix very very well in a big bucket or tote. When you think it's mixed enough, get your hands in there and mix for another 5 mins. Break up any balls of dirt you can find, helps to dry it out and mix more afterwards. Just my experience. Good dirt is a good portion of good grows...

• D.A.A.S.69
    replied
    Picking up the pots like Rwise said is the best way to tell,
    Sounds to me like you've been watering to often an not using enough water at a time.
    When in soil, you water to runoff comes out the bottom everytime, you water. Unless your in living soil.
    I've never had a fabric pot that didn't drain properly. if I was in good soil.
    If you think it's too dry, and your pots lightweight, water her till you see water come out the bottom of the pot, and then pick up your pot, it will be heavy as hell, a big difference in weight.
    But if your pots already heavy, don't water her, let it dry, out, almost bone dry. Then water to runoff.

Leave a comment:

• Rwise
    replied
    I will say, lift the pot if it's lite water, if its heavy it has water. She looks dry from here, do you have a ton of holes in the pot? If not a drill will fix that.

Leave a comment:

• Sc0tt
    replied
    I think I will have to transplant it into the fabric pot. I've given it a few days and no major difference. It did perk up a bit after I gave it a small amount of water but not for long. I'm not sure if it needs water or to continue to dry out at this point. I'll post a pic of about an hour after watering and one I just took. please let me know what you think. Should I transplant and risk stressing the plant more or should I continue to nurse this poor plant back to health as it is.

Leave a comment:

• JDU
    replied
    Quickest, easiest way to dry out a pot is to poke 4-5 holes down into the dirt with a screwdriver. (Kids paintbrush for small pots)

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    Good ScOtt she will appreciate it. Just know you got time to transplant if needed. Your doing fine really, these plants are resilient to errors. Not saying it won't slow them down but your learning by trial and error. This will be a lesson take it in stride. Great job fixing

• Sc0tt
    replied
    I did drill more holes and I put it in the milk crate to elevate it so it can drain (the crate is also elevated about an inch from the floor). I lowered the humidity level and increased airflow by opening the vents in my tent. I did give it a very small amount of water because the leaves were beginning to "claw" and it perked up a little after about an hour of watering. I'm still undecided about transplanting it. If in the next few day I dont see it improve to a healthy state, i think ill will transplant it to a fabric pot with extra perlite added.

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    I disagree dilvish I would at the very least drill lots of holes and those crates it's sitting in has holes so it WILL drain no need to SUCK it's elevated in the crate. And I would also if he felt comfortable doing so do a soil change it's a 6 wk old photo hell I've transplanted trees bigger without issue.

• dilvish
    replied
    she does look healthy overall. you can drill as many holes as you want in the bucket but it won't do a damn thing unless the runoff that ends up in the bottom of your milk crate is sucked out. What's going to happen is the bottom of the bucket will still be in contact with the runoff and will just reabsorb it through the bottom holes. This can potentially cause root rot.

Fabric pots work more effectively but transplanting at this stage could potentially shock the plant.

turning up the heat will definitely help. If the hygrometer is fairly accurate then yes go ahead and water just try watering to about 10% runoff then suck or pour out the runoff then leave it be until it dries out a bit. with a plastic bucket at a room temp of 78F that will be 3-4 days.

Leave a comment:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X