Grow bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow bags

I would like to know what brand fabric bags you all buy. Do I need to order small and larger to transplant?? Thank you.

I like the geopot bags Canuck147 told me about and I go from solo cup to 5 and 7 gallon bags. I have some very heavyweight 7 gallon bags with a Velcro sealed window flap for potatoes . They all seem to work well but these 2 brands really are nice quality the flap ones are green, got them on Amazon but have not seen them after I bought them....but of course, having bought them, I never looked again for them

Comment

i like the Vivosun bags. durable, and long lasting. I have 15, 10, and 5 gallon bags although you can get smaller. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vivosun+g...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Comment

• billyboy
        billyboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. (5) 10-gal bags for $20 seems like a good deal. And I have used them across a few grows and they are none the worse for the wear..

So Farmall do you grow exclusively indoors??? And Starramus do you use the bigger bags for outside. I want to start in the greenhouse but move to out doors when warm enough. Then in the fall bring them back in if they aren't finished before frost.

Comment

I bought these cheap Jeria brand bags, they are good for the price but I wish I had bought some with the handles on the sides vs at the top. They always seem to be in the way when I'm watering.

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
          FunkyButtLovin commented
          Editing a comment
          Smart man, I've thought about it like 400 times and I don't know why I haven't done it yet. I'm going to cut them off after this harvest I think.

• stump
          stump commented
          Editing a comment
          i also cut them off.

• Farmall2
          Farmall2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I figure I have 2 side anchors to tie training wires to so I never cut them, l also wire my name tags on the handles so I can identify each.. “ HELLO my name is Kush”
          Since they’re 7 gallons and going to 10 and 15, those handles will come in handy for lifting and turning plants

GardenLady last year I did both. I like indoor because it isolated a complete set of problems I do not deal with indoors..1.) bugs/pests. 2.) inconsistent light. It seems that my vegetable stocks are more forgiving but by nature. I feel that with the manipulation we provide to the plant, it needs the solid lighting to produce and the benefits indoor growing helps to control. The reward is worth

Comment

Farmall I did see those with the flap. They look interesting. Did you find a need to place a plant saucer under them any of your fabric pots?

Comment

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          I did elevate the bags to keep airflow under them using 2x4 pieces. I use living soil so there is never any runoff ...as for fox farms, I’ll bet most of use it or have used it so you good to go. Oddly, the flap never really leaked. On the other hand, I have now learned to control my watering, a prerequisite for living soil.

I also bought some Fox Farms ocean forest potting soil. Does anyone use this?? Do I need anything else to add to this.??
        last year I grew directly in ground.. I want to try the fabric pots this year and be able to move it if need be.

Comment

I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog. I like them both just fine and either will get you through 3-4 weeks before needing any nutrients but they will not take you all the way.

Comment

Thanks Farmall and FBL...I'm catching on. Now after the first three or four weeks. What is used for potting soil then,?????

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
              FunkyButtLovin commented
              Editing a comment
              The soil is fine to use the whole time, I meant that it has enough nutrients in it to keep plants healthy for the first few weeks and you have to start adding nutrients after that.

Ohhh okay. Do you add any other grow medium to the soils. Like coconut just. Perlite or anything???

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
              FunkyButtLovin commented
              Editing a comment
              A little perlite is nice but not necessary. It doesn't really need anything except some form of nutrients after the first few weeks.

Ok great. Thank you for your help. That makes it so easy.

Comment

I got hold of some 1 Quart fabric bags, I will say I dont like them! Why? Well I decided it was time to transplant, the day before I sat them in a pan of water (I know I know) then to the riser, the next day when I turned them over, the bottom half was bone dry. Maybe to much air contact? BTW I was giving them a tablespoon or 2 of water several times a day on top.

Comment

Rwise what about the bigger bags. I want to grow outdoors but be able to move them is necessary. I think the fabric would be easier on the roots I guess.

Comment

I will be using fabric bags outside this year, I have some 20 gallon size and may get more. Last year was so wet here I had root issues, my thought is this will stop that. I have some in 3 gallon I move outside for sunshine, in for frost (they are in now). They will go to larger when the danger of frost is over.
                  You will want those bags on risers as the roots will grow through them.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X