Spider Mites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider Mites

I hesitated even starting this thread but here we go anyway, My solo cup entrant, Han Solo, has a "small" infestation of mites. I know I got them early. I was chasing a pH issue as well as damned nanners and have been watching the leaves and buds very carefully. I thought I had the pH dialed in now (I think so...hard to deal with 18oz containers) but monitored leaf color very closely still. Then the tiny nanners I found on the top cola. Tough plant. Yesterday afternoon when I got ready for watering I noticed some changes high on the plant leaves. The pH issue had been mostly showing on lower leaves. Nanners on top. These leaves had a color change that drew my gaze and then a magnifier and then to the loupe. Tiny dots over the top with yellowing/browning margins. Flip the leaf and the horror! (Okay, really not bad but I've read of the Borg) It's hard to keep still at 60x but they were there. Currently not spread to the tent-mates that I can tell. It is nice to be able to just pick up the plant in one hand and walk to better light.

I don't have the ability to isolate it and keep it growing. Trash can may be in the future yet. I sprayed under and over with alcohol/water solution and fingers crossed. I plan to hit it with peroxide on day three and if still needed then a recipe involving dish soap. And cycle through as needed again. Commercial stuff won't be an option as it is well into flower and too small to get leaves and not buds. Because the plant is so small I may even use a Q-tip and peroxide and wipe down all I can see, wait 15 - 20 minutes and mist off with water before lights out and pop her back in.

I'm pretty sure I know the source (that guy in the mirror every morning). I posted a pic a couple weeks ago with Han in the middle of our houseplants on the window sill. I know our house plants have historically had what we always called dust mites. Never thought of it at the time. Han was there long enough to get pics and then back to the tent. Ten or so days later I see these dots and bugs.

So why did I post this in the end? Not because I'm panicking or anything. Quite the opposite. For the new among us (I have less than a year experience) it can be easy to go overboard chasing symptoms and generally fretting over everything. I went to GWE and diagnosed my issue and looked for info here. Then I did a search on the bigger web and settled on a plan moving forward. It's still possible to lose this plant but what I learned outdoors (acid rain is still real, check your pH, aphids are nasty little bastards and Gold Finches like shelter in your plant and may break a branch or two) and now indoors (my area is very clean but I let my guard down for 15 minutes) is helping me stay calm and just logically diagnose and treat my patient in the best manner available to me at the moment. And of course I'm neither the first nor the last to get mites. But many among us have battled the Borg and survived. Resistance doesn't have to be futile.

PS: Looked for companion planting as a future solution. I thought marigolds as I know they repel aphids. I even started some in a small pot a few weeks ago for that reason. I plunked that right in by the solo cup. This morning I read that marigolds actually attract spider mites! So that was this morning's WTF moment. When my lights come up in a few minutes I'm grabbing it right back out of there.
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

i have learned to live with a few mites here and there now and then. never had a real issue with them but for the last two years theyve been around. ed rosenthal is a legend in the cannabis scene and he posted this small article on his blog about mites, hope it helps https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru...-your-cannabis

Comment

I'll have to read grower Rosenthal's article, but my defense against the little bastids is this product.

Comment

• starramus
        starramus commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheaper by the gallon from Amazon. Just be sure to apply it right before lights out.

Great write up OlderNOTwiser - I have been growing about 4 years and I feel the same way as you do about problems that arise. Shit happens.

So one has to pay attention to ones plants. Closely. And when something comes up - you deal with it in the best way you can.

Smart of you to research your problem on line as best you can - then you have a good plan of attack. Hope you get it under control.

I have an on going WPM problem that I basically have under control - I'm sure my plants don't like having a fan blowing almost constantly on them - but.......

Get a mum plant (chrysanthemums? ) they repel most pests that like cannabis plants.

Good luck and don't throw it away.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
        OlderNOTwiser commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea, mums. I have at least twenty of them along my driveway and they look awesome in autumn. Just discovered this morning that the pyreth whatever is naturally in the mums so good to know. Unfortunately my very dead flowerheads are just now showing from under our lovely winter snow. I will definitely be trying to do an indoor grow of them next fall. I did grab the Marigolds out of the tent and checked the plant. No ill effects showing as yet on the alcohol spray and when I get more time this pm I'll be getting the loupe back out and going over it very slowly.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X