Thrips! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrips! Help

Hi guys I'm now realizing that the spots on my leaves aren't what I thought. I've definitely got thrips. Anyone have any suggestions. I'm going to the grow shop tomorrow to get something.

1000 lady bugs
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200226_184514.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	379648
    Space for Rent.

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my plants, I left for two weeks and apond my return I had Thrips again so the soap, spinosad, and neem I had used a couple months ago was not completely effective. The lady bugs came from the local grow shop 9$ for 500. They are everywhere in the 150sqft of rooms and chowing down.

I'd start there then Spray whatever after the lady bugs die off from lack of food.

• homegrown
      homegrown commented
      Editing a comment
      thats awesome..very scarce here(to purchase)..dont know why. Greenhouses were sold out this summer but they did have mantis pods! Think i could probably gather up a couple hundred in the spring around my yard. Wonder if they would deal with a mite infestation?? - not that i have one..

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      homegrown you can get ladybugs on amazon.

Yup remember those little pricks Smokesteve I started with soapy water and tsp of peroxide in 1 liter of warm water or spinoside or Mr.furley's way will probably be more effective because thrips are very good at hiding.

Comment

Thanks guys. Where dis they come from. No visitors, winter, I never go to other grows. Did they come from the soil or top dress I'm using? Bought both from the same shop.

Comment

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        I had them for my first grow in soil from a big box store. Im guessing thats where they came from. Iv since switched all my grow medium for 2nd and third grow and havent noticed any thrips or fungus gnats.

That would be a good guess, I certainly think I picked up bugs with my homemade soil, to which I now bake the ground up leaf before using it. Even if I kill the good things, I can add them back.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that mine came from the new coco I got, they can come in on anything from under your fingernail, your clothes. homegrown lady bugs will eat mites but Google predator mites for better results.
        Space for Rent.

Comment

Ladybugs did not work for me because I had way too many of them. Beneficial bugs are good at first site before the bad bugs get established. What worked for me was spinosad one application too care of almost all of them and I did a second application to make sure they were gone. Next grow after that I just water the leafs once a week with neem cake tea. Looks to be working out for me. I stop any treatment once I flip to flower. Also watering your leafs once a week with aloe Vera will build your plants resistance to pests the (SAR) systemic acquired resistance. So by the Rome your in flower your plants defense or amine system if you will is strong enough to fight off pests on its own. I know hypoapsis miles I spelled that wrong lol anyways those predatory mites are good for thrips but once again if the plant is not infested. The main predatory bug for thrips is called Piratebug I believe is the name. Go to Arbico.com or any inspectory they have pics of bad bugs and they predators. I have made some post on it with pics maybe look them up. Since I’m indoors I stopped wasting my money on bugs because they also have an environment they thrive in like our plants and if it’s not perfect they won’t do you any good. Lady bugs have caused fires because for some reason they love gettin into your light bulbs and believe me you will find them where you wouldn’t expect them to.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s great info about the light. Wouldn’t have even thought of that. It would be bad news with my light.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X