No announcement yet.

Ballast lightly-used, but stored for over ten years. Brand new 1000 watt HPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Ballast lightly-used, but stored for over ten years. Brand new 1000 watt HPS

Can I use a 600 watt bulb with this ballast? FLASHBACK--- I'm having a hard time believing I was using a 1000 watt bulb 10 or 11 years ago---it was a tiny room in the back of a garage. But I can't find the old bulb. I'm sure I tossed it long ago. But I was sold a grower's kit (online)---and this is the ballast they sent back in 2000whatever. I'm wondering if I could've been using a 600 watt bulb with it? The company seems to be out of business---I can't ask them what size the bulb was...
    MY QUESTION: Is it okay to use a 600 watt bulb with THIS old ballast from 2007 or whatever? PICS INCLUDED I assumed it was NOT okay, so I bought a 1000 watter--- but now I'm wishing I had a little less light---so it's worth asking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mayonnaise; 02-28-2020, 04:31 PM.

I think you would burn out a 600 watt bulb up pretty fast.
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• Eliot Pryor
      Eliot Pryor commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably should have said it probably would blow up. Wear safety glasses if you turn it on.

• mayonnaise
      mayonnaise commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I see now the proper ballast is fairly cheap on Amazon.

Not suggesting you do it but a quick search will show a bunch of people routinely do it. Buy a big ballast and then start small on bulbs and increase size as required. If it were me I'd research it some more and then probably take it out to the garage, point it away from me and plug it in. But then, shit, I try almost anything. Will the ballast force feed all those watts or will the bulb only take in what can use. I use 5 amp transformers and power 500ma devices. Voltage has to be within range though.

Comment

• mayonnaise
      mayonnaise commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input. I'm tempted to try it. But also really, really don't want to burn down my house. I may buy a 600 watt ballast tomorrow.

I would not use anything but a 1000w lamp with that ballast. People who use lower wattage bulbs with higher wattage ballasts (myself included) use newer, digital ballasts with switches to step down the power output to match the bulb ratings.

Comment

• mayonnaise
      mayonnaise commented
      Editing a comment
      Brilliant. New ballast already ordered. Thanks for the reply.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X