No announcement yet.

Does combining HID and LED make sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Does combining HID and LED make sense?

Hi. I have my second grow happening right now, this time using a coco based packaged full system of nutrients. finally have most things settled out but wondering about combining light. they are a month old and I have my 3 by 3 tent covered by a 600W dimmable HID light. Unused at this time I also have a 300 w LED that is 300W effective, which seemed to work great on my first grow. Opinions - would it make sense to run the HID at 75% and add the LED as well? or just crank the HID to full 600W ? i am leaning towards combining since i read that different spectrum can help quality. with the HID at full power, the ventilation can barely cool it. i suspect at 75% I can handle the added heat from the LED, which isnt very hot. I realize nothing sure, but interested in opinions. or maybe for the flowering stage. Hmmmm?
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not. But it makes sense to me to increase the light if you're not happy with the current level.
    I, too, am doing something unconventional, I think, in a quest for big buds. I started with ten seeds under four 4' led tubes. First four tubes, then, as the seedlings needed more room, I added four more, and then four more. But right before going to 12/12 I added a 1000 watt HPS---dusted off some old, hardly-used equipment in the garage---added it to the set-up.) BUT HERE'S the weird part: The timers for the LEDS turn on at 8 and off at 8---but the HPS is only in use for six hours---in the middle of the cycle. (11 to 5, approx.) Seems to be working. I'm careful to not let the HPS bulb get closer than 4' from tops... keeping things cool with a fan and spray mist...
    Good luck with your lighting, Bootsy---. Let us know how things work out.

Comment

thanks. leaves are cupping on the taller plants so i have cut back HID 600 to 75%. Lots of reading to do.
      A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

I do have a grow diary happening, but in case anyone is interested, combining the lights seems to have gone well. I ended up with some light burn where there hot spots in the LED and also close to HPS. Raised the lights, and more importantly - i replaced the LED with a new Mar Hydro 300 w with 5 w chips. very even light coverage and significantly different looking light. the old one was unbranded and I got it second hand with the tent so it's at least 5 year old. Might have been my imagination, but it seemed that any buds that are getting significant light from the LED actually seem to be pointing towards it. I don't see a real difference between buds under HPS vs LED, but will keep track and examine at harvest.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X