Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I accidentally germinated 2 seeds in a single rapid rooter! How do I split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I accidentally germinated 2 seeds in a single rapid rooter! How do I split?

Hi lads, I must’ve been high or whatever because I accidentally sprouted two seeds in a single rapid rooter plug! They’re both fully hatched now and cotys are out, but they’re probably intertwined already and so delicate at this stage.

Is it best to grow them into veg or something?

Or When is the ideal time to do surgery on this thing?

Will the roots be separate able, or will they grow into eachother and get locked up?

New grower here

Thanks all!

I would try soaking them until they are completely saturated and then gently tear the rooter apart in half slowly_ start at the top_ and watch the roots as you do, then you'll be able to see how intertwined they are. If they aren't too bad then try to separate them with a wet toothpick or something similar. If that works put each back into a larger rooter or planting medium. Transplant them to include a bit of the stem in the medium. Hydrate with a rooting solution and keep your fingers crossed!

On the other hand you could just grow them in one container like a single plant, just use a large one_ you'll need plenty of medium for all those roots.. I've always wanted to try that. Just think_ you'll get a really bushy plant you could train to grow out to opposite sides with lots of huge colas and the stalks would be supportive to both. I do a lot of work in the forest and I've seen a lot of trees that have started like that_the trunks seem grown together at the bottom because the seeds were right next to each other when they spouted and then as they grew they separate into two. Thats what gave me the idea to try that myself.

Thats what I'd try, especially if I had a few more healthy plants as backup.
    Either way I hope it turns out well.

If you decide to grow them as they are_ keep me posted_ I'd love to see how that goes.

Cheers!

ps: I'd think that if you want to try to separate them then do it asap. You're not too far into this grow right now so if it goes bad you can just start over. If you wait it will just be harder to separate them and if things go bad then you'll have lost more time.
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

I'd wait until they get good n strong with a good root system then use a knife to split the shared rootball.

Comment

Any way you try to separate them there will be root damage (yes they can live through it, but can also hermie from it). They can be grown together and then make clones from them. The last ones I did this on was 2 Rusty Glues, and I just grew them out (outside), pulled them away from each other, and enjoy the harvest.

Comment

I'd tend to go with Rwise's suggestion and just grow them out if your room is large enough. Otherwise I guess trying splitting the rootball_I've done that on other plants that were composed of multiple individuals and had success but never to a single "trunked" plant. I've never seen this with cannabis but the trees I've seen kind of end up "bonding" together so tightly at the bottom so separating them would be like cutting them in half. I think that would stress them more.
          But if you don't have the space try growing them out then start over or try any of the other suggestions.
          Good luck and hope it turns out.
          Cheers.
          Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
          liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

I've grown 2 plants in one pot before in a hydro setup; roots and plants were fine... I just LST'd em away from each other (trained em).
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X