A word to the wise - storing nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word to the wise - storing nutrients

I have been buying some of the supplements in gallon containers (trying to save money). I just found a smelly 'matt' of a fungi in my gallon of GH FloraNector! First off, there is nothing wrong with the GH products, I bought the gallon last year and due to my reduction in grows per year, it sat in the bottom of the closet for over a year and apparently the temperature was high enough for the mold or fungi to grow. From now on, I'm going to store the unused portion in the refrigerator after it is initially opened. I have not seen this with the other supplements that I use, maybe because they do not have any sugars in them as the FloraNector does.
    From now on, I will look into the bottles before I pour!
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

How odd could of been on it's way out even when you purchased it close coded? What a shame and loss $$$ I have used flora nova grow and bloom in the past always needed to shake it a lot I do not like the way the bottles pour very messy to me. This is a lesson also not to premix supplements and let stand for days before use. Thank you DW2 for the tips.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would bet that when I opened the gallon jug, a year and a half ago, is when it became contaminated. I used some of the contents on last year's grow and did not have the problem with it then. I think that if it's not used up quickly (within three to four months) it would probably be better (and safer) to just keep the opened bottle in the fridge.
      So far, it has not had any extremely damaging effect on the plants. The loss of a half gallon of the stuff is a pain in the wallet!

Same thing happened to me once when I let them sit in the garage over a summer. I started using 100% organic nutrients then so maybe they are more susceptible?
    Now I keep them under the house in the crawl space because it stays 42-48 F all year, summer or winter. All is good.
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom dry nutrients and I have never (shouldn't have said that!! LOL) had any problems with the other supplements that I use. The FloraNector is the only one that shows some 'sugars' or molasses in it's contents.

Ahhh, then that sounds like it could be the carbs! Good to know you've solved the issue, bummer to lose nutrients!
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, have a new quart on the way and this time, I'll keep the unused portion in the fridge!

• ZigZag
      ZigZag commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm keeping mine under the house too_here in AK its like having a root cellar_ great place to keep stuff at 40-50 F. Another benefit is my wife doesn't freak about the nutrients in the fridge!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X