Freeze dried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeze dried

So has anybody ever dry their bud in the freezer? In sealed containers or just open? Dry time? Results? I'm curious about freeze drying any , all comments and advice greatly appreciated.

I have not tried that, I dont see it being any advantage over slow drying and curing/aging.
    Welcome to GWE!

Comment

Thank you Rwise. I read an article maybe here at GWE. I'm not sure . But the idea was to freeze dry like if you leave meat unpackaged it will freezer burn. And dry it in that fashion. I tried it an. I guess it was ok. But couldn't really tell if it cured till after it thawed. It is said to retain flavor and potency. I couldn't really tell. Anyways thank you Rwise. I hope to get a few more replies on the sub. Help me make the best choice t harvest.

Comment

Interested
        I'll be following.

Comment

Never tried that but I'm not so sure there would be any advantage, and may well increase the potential for mold and such... after you remove it and it thaws you won't really know how much moisture remains in the plant material....because how are you going to measure the humidity when its in the freezer?

I do freeze my cured bud after 3-6 months and it works great. no decrease in potency. I vacuum seal in heavy bags and then put those in large canning jars tp prevent crushing the freezer bags. When I take a bag out I let it warm up to room temperature before opening. You need to handle the bags carefully or you can knock the trichomes off easily when they are frozen.

I do freeze freshly harvested green sugar trim and popcorn buds in freezer bags when my intention is to make bubble hash. Fresh frozen is the way to go for bubble hash, especially with really frosty stuff. First run usually results in beautiful golden translucent chunks in a "sauce" which take on a crystal appearance when dried correctly. Maybe my favorite smoke. Super terpene flavors.

Cheers

ps; When I take the fresh frozen out of the freezer bags to make bubble hash, even if it's been in there for a month, it shows no signs of curing once it thaws.
          Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
          liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Also, if you just place your cut colas into the freezer without any protection then you're going to lose trichomes into the void of your freezer no doubt. Taking shortcuts to a really good cure that provides a very smooth smoke without mold or mildew, after all your work, seems like it might put all that in jeopardy.
            Maybe try it with a few colas first if you're willing to risk it.
            Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
            liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Will probably continue with the norm.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X