No announcement yet.

​​​​​​​Yields and Grow Time with LED's and Super Soil / Water Only Soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic357 I say don’t get discouraged brother, I have been having issues with my plants not getting so big myself. I believe the reason why is the seeds are Aurora from Nirvana for some reason they hermie on me. I also grew Northern lights and Papaya on my first living soil grow and they were great so I fell in love the taste and smell is second to none. My issue I believe is overwatering for some reason I can’t get that right. So when you do that the plants tend to get yellow soon during flower. Main thing is use a mulch to keep the top layer moist. I did the first grows then I had an issue with thrips that threw me out of wack so I took all my mulch out and that’s when the top of soil started to dry out an big No No in living soil so I started to over water. My mistake for sure. This next run I have seeds from Humboldt, from Barney’s farm, and not sure what other breeders no more Nirvana for me. Actually to my surprise I have 2 freebies from nirvana (sativas) that grew really well and the 2 Auroras the tall one Hermies so I threw it away and the second runt produced some nice dense nuggs despite the fact that I overwatered them. We need to start a thread organics soil growers no bottled nutrients so we can all help each other out. Not trying to isolate bottled nutrients growers I’m just saying it would be nice so we can stick to one subject kinda like the solo cup challenge and other threads I can think of right now. Who’s in?

Comment

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice suggestion... there is a DWC thread so why not organic soil growers

• dilvish
      dilvish commented
      Editing a comment
      Organic soil can be great yes, but bear in mind unless it is a super soil it still needs some nutes after about 4-6 weeks IF you want bigger plants and more buds. For example, FoxFarm Ocean Soil, a beginner grower favorite, is organic but even the manufacturer states to use nutes after a time because the cannabis will use up all the nutes in the soil. In my opinion, if you just stick seeds in soil, water and forget then you are missing the true nature of growing weed easy......

• Organic357
      Organic357 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Cali. I am not really discouraged yet. It seems that there are some real issues with Nirvana Seeds. To Dilvish's comment I had my best results as far as yields with Fox Farm nutes and soil. I have been growing for 8 years. Initially I grew with bag seed under one fixture with four 2' T-5 switching out bulbs for veg and flower. I was always changing lights, nutes and soil to get better quality and higher yields. Initially I liked mixing up nutes, checking pH, etc. I compare it to a young man shaving for the first time and feeling like a grown up man. After awhile it becomes a chore. I would like to grow outside but that is not a good option for now. My thought is that there is great bud that grows in the wild without anyone giving the plants a constantly changing formula of nutrients. So I want to simplify my life by learning how to grow in super soil/water only soil. I know it can be done it will just take awhile to figure the tweaks to make it work to where I have an easily reproducible way to grow my medicine. I have recently learned three things I was doing wrong with my plants. There were giving Mammoth P daily, Earth Juice Hi-Brix Molasses frequently and letting my grow room temps fall below 65℉. There is some good information at http://www.kindsoil.com. I can’t say it is perfect but close enough. For example when one uses super or no water soil you may not need to add compost during year 1 but probably should re-amend when you reuse this kind of soil in subsequent years.

dilvish i think the opposite. Stick the seed or clone in the soil. Water and forget is the true way to grow weed easy. Otherwise your trying to reinvent the wheel by adding man made fertilizers in bottles. When those chemicals interact you have to adjust this adjust that making things complicated for me anyways.

Comment

With no disrespect to other opinions, Cali, you made a powerful argument that makes sense to me. I also appreciate something else, namely your ability to state your proposition so concisely. Being part Irish my speech and writing are not nearly so succinct.
      5' x 5' Gorilla Grow Tent (flower) AC Infinity Cloudline T8, Quiet Inline Duct Fan System with Temperature and Humidity Controller
      3' x 3'Gorilla Grow Tent (veg) AC Infinity Cloudline S6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller

Two 2' T-5 fixtures with 4 tubes each for veg
      Two Electric Sky 300 V2 Wideband LED grow lights for flower

Water only / Super soil from KIS Organics

Current favorites: Aurora Indica, Nebula CBD, Northern Light, Pure Power Plant

Comment

It seems as though there could be confusion with organic soil, super soil and living soil. I tend to believe we are saying super soil/living soil is the same And it’s organic. Fox Farm is not super soil nor living soil. It does not provide the same characteristics as the previous two and does need nutrients for a sustainable successful crop.

Comment

• dilvish
          dilvish commented
          Editing a comment
          This too is true thank you for clarifying the types of soils. Personally i think anyone who believes that growing in soil is just add seeds and water is just denying themselves better yields and more potent buds. Little effort means little payoff...I think everyone who first started out knows this.

True that it is possible to do "soil, seed, water and forget" but growers who want the best final product know better....

Dilvish I owe you an apology. I missed the phrase in your comment, "unless it is a super soil". Farmall thank you for the clarification. I was agreeing with Cali with respect to super soil / living soil which I think we agree are the same. My first grows were with Fox Farm and I will confess I got some massive yields, including a top cola that was about the size of two beer bottles with their necks cut of if the makes sense. Unfortunately I have not been able to do that again but will also say that some seeds just contain impressive vigor/good genetics. I would agree that if using just Fox Farms organic soil it needs to be supplemented.
        5' x 5' Gorilla Grow Tent (flower) AC Infinity Cloudline T8, Quiet Inline Duct Fan System with Temperature and Humidity Controller
        3' x 3'Gorilla Grow Tent (veg) AC Infinity Cloudline S6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller

Two 2' T-5 fixtures with 4 tubes each for veg
        Two Electric Sky 300 V2 Wideband LED grow lights for flower

Water only / Super soil from KIS Organics

Current favorites: Aurora Indica, Nebula CBD, Northern Light, Pure Power Plant

Comment

• Greenpassion
          Greenpassion commented
          Editing a comment
          Just wanted to pipe in here. No more problems with drooping at all. Just adding water and molasses to kind soil and no drooping whatsoever except for maybe about an hour right after I water! Lots of good information with you guys here on this post.!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X