ph problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ph problems

hope someone can help e out , I have 2# 2ft x 2ft ebb and flow beds, each has own resovoir ' same nutrients , ph to 5.5, 3 hours later it jumps tp 7.0, no mater how much I lower the ph, in 3 to4 hours it jumps back up higher levels , it's driving me nut's can anyone tell what the heck is going on. Totaly lost!!! Rosebud

If it's not using gravel with calcium or limestone as a grow media, I have no idea.

Comment

I had that issue with gravel. I thought it was inert, but no. Issue went away when I switched to hydroton...
      what medium are you using?

Comment

• GunkieBud
        GunkieBud commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm using hydroton, the plants are in 4 inch grodan blocks in hydroton

It does sound likely that you have lime in your gravel or media. The fast rising pH can also happen if plants are growing very fast and taking up more negatively charged ions than positively charged ones. In that case the nitrogen in your hydro formula is likely most all nitrate nitrogen (negatively charged) as opposed to having any significant ammonium nitrogen in it (positively charged). Find a hydro formula with either some amino acids or ammonium nitrogen in it. Don't overdo it, as ammonium nitrogen can become toxic to plants. With good lighting you should be able to go as high as 50 ppm of ammoniacal nitrogen and have the rest of the nitrogen as nitrate nitrogen.

Comment

• GunkieBud
        GunkieBud commented
        Editing a comment
        could you recommend a hydro formula that would have the amino acids or ammonium nitrogen in it.

• GunkieBud
        GunkieBud commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm using 4inch grodan blocks in hydroton

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X