potting seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potting seedlings

hiya all. At how many days/weeks old do you repot your seedlings into their large pot? And do you use degradable pots so you can pot the whole thing without disturbing the roots or plastic, clay etc ones where they need to be removed from the pot but then there's no period of waiting for the roots to break free and spread out?
    Attached Files

with those pots you cannot check on the roots so you have to monitor the water intake of the plant, usually takes days for the plant to drink the water the pot can hold, when a plant has big roots and needs a transplant it drinks the water it can hold in a single day.

Comment

I usually move them into a 3.5in nursery pot when they get tall enough to need to be buried deeper. Then not until they get a little bit rootbound. & are needing watered every day.

I haven't seen peat pots in years. Good idea. They ARE simple- just cut em up a little before you bury them & the roots don't have to wait for it to break down. And take it from a habitual overwaterer- 9Finger is right- it's easy to overwater a small plant in a large pot. I'm switching to fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by StokeBloke View Post
        hiya all. At how many days/weeks old do you repot your seedlings into their large pot? And do you use degradable pots so you can pot the whole thing without disturbing the roots or plastic, clay etc ones where they need to be removed from the pot but then there's no period of waiting for the roots to break free and spread out?
        Were I you StokeBloke, I would gently remove bottom of your bio pots and bury those stretchy seedlings up to the cotyledons in your final pre-moistened pot, then give them what they've been stretching for - more light. Key words, MOIST-MORE LIGHT. Good luck

Comment

• StokeBloke
          StokeBloke commented
          Editing a comment
          I've surrounded my light on all sides with mirrors a couple of days back and it's slowed the stretching a bit. I'm only keeping 9 of them cause more than that in England is an intent to supply charge so I'll choose the best ones when I repot them (or a few days after once I can see they've rooted) and then give the rest away. I'm going to try 2 different techniques I think cause it's my first proper try (i grew 2 plants as a trial and let nature take its course so added no special food and no training. I had 38g from the 2 so now I have a benchmark to work from. I'm going to try topping 4/5 and with the rest I'm going to train the main stem round the edge of the pot so the off shoots grow vertically whilst the branch is horizontal.

couple weeks will put a seedling in a solo cup root bound.

Comment

Sounds like a plan StokeBloke Experiments & experience will make you better at anything you try. Keep us updated!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X