Thoughts on light for seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on light for seedlings

YYCannabis shared a fascinating video from Utah State University's Dr. Bruce Bugbee: https://youtu.be/ID9rE5JewVg . In his video, Professor Bugbee said that seedlings can take a tremendous amount of light (@ 26:45 in the video). Is cost the main reason why I see folks using CFL's when starting their seedlngs?
    Last edited by BR2K; 02-07-2020, 12:47 AM.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

I like CFLs in a 4 way arrangement, it causes limbs everywhere as light is on them from all sides!
    Outside I am in direct sunlight from sprout. Unless I plant clones in direct sunlight,,,

Comment

All I use is a 29W full spectrum LED bulb on an adjustable table lamp...it works great...I save a ton of power for the first 2 weeks of the germination/seedling stage because i don't have to use my whole light panel.
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• BR2K
        BR2K commented
        Editing a comment
        You, YYCannabis, Dr. Bugbee and SoOrbudgal have inspired me to try using my 315LEC with a couple of my auto seeds. Probably WW, Northern Lights and Green Poison XL. I am interested in how my light will affect my seedlings. I should be moving to my new home within 30 days...
        Last edited by BR2K; 02-04-2020, 01:33 PM. Reason: Correction

4-23W, 65K cfl work great.

Comment

I have spent a few months killing sprouts by exposing them to 600W MH lights too soon. Stick with the 23w/65K cfl until you get to the 2nd or even 3rd set of nodes to be safe IMO.

Comment

8-12 inches from a T5 & 6-8 from 2 bright assed LED strips works for me. Utah St is one of the premier ag schools in the Country.... I'm prone to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by JDU View Post
            8-12 inches from a T5 & 6-8 from 2 bright assed LED strips works for me. Utah St is one of the premier ag schools in the Country.... I'm prone to listen.
            That's what I hear. Still, I agree with you all - I'll start with lower intensity light. I have a 2 ft T5 assembly from Home Depot. I also have some CFL bulbs but no acceptable lamp at the moment. With your recommendations and the GWE tutorial, I think I better take the safe route. Once my seedlings are established, Ill move up to my more powerful lights.
            A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

So when this thread hit I was in the perfect position for an experiment. The smaller plant is a day & a half older than the other. I put the youngest under the intense Mars Hydro 24in away. The other I left under the T5 12in away. They are both under the Mars now lol.
              Last edited by JDU; 02-06-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Tryin clones under the Mars now. This batch is the wiltiest so we'll go with them.

Comment

• JDU
                  JDU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The clones didn't like the Mars. Had to move them back to the T5s.

• dbdDemon
                  dbdDemon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How far are your t5s above the plastic dome? And are you using a heating pad, trying different methods with my clones.

• JDU
                  JDU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  About 6in. The dome is a big ole cheetos puffball plastic jar about 10in tall so the lights are approx 12in from the plants. No heating pad- the temp at dirt level is 78-82°F

To be sure- many of the methods on here are more efficient & hands off but I'm sticking with mine. I like the thicker stalks & taller cuttings. I like having to check on them often while the dome is off. I like getting em in the dirt & stable asap. That's just me though.
                  Last edited by JDU; 02-23-2020, 12:16 AM.

Aw-right! JDU started his experiment. I REALLY want to replicate Nebula Haze's grow "Seed to harvest" with my 315W LEC. This is the "How to grow up to 1lb" tutorial. I guess I'll try germinating all six of the free autos I got from Seedman. I've been reviewing "The Great Auto Showdown" and figure I'll be losing several, at least. If I lose them all, I'll just start the Photos I actually ordered. I'm waiting on my home (should start moving in in a week or so) and some 3 gallon smart pots.

Comment

I think they are greatest seed starter ever....I use 6 in a 7 way splitter for about 3 weeks. 23w 6500k and when I walk into the room, I can’t see for a minute or so due to the flash of light when I open that door

I've got to add, if you're following that YouTube video, cost is not something you’re overly concerned with as you are looking to create the best outcomes possible

Comment

• Farmall
                    Farmall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And your 315 is a great producer

Originally posted by Farmall View Post
                  I think they are greatest seed starter ever....I use 6 in a 7 way splitter for about 3 weeks. 23w 6500k and when I walk into the room, I can’t see for a minute or so due to the flash of light when I open that door

I've got to add, if you're following that YouTube video, cost is not something you’re overly concerned with as you are looking to create the best outcomes possible
                  I'm following Dr. Bugbee and Nebula Haze within my limited means. Considering that a trip to my closesest dispensary is an entire day's trip and the cost of the bud itself, I consider this a wise investment. While GWE is incredible, I'm learning just as much from you regular contributors - THANKS!

Comment

In the last couple of years I have played around with several ways to (Light) and start seeds. Hands down, this has been the most consistent and healthy starts I tried different ways lately and was fussing at the breeder for poor starts. Went back to this and for me.. works great.
                    Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 02-07-2020, 12:59 PM.
                    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
                    A tale of two seeds
                    Batter Up Sour Deisel
                    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
                    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
                    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

I'd have to say I agree with the study. The one under the Mars continues to dwarf the one under a T5.
                      Not only can seedlings handle brighter & intense light- they thrive on it.

Comment

• dilvish
                        dilvish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        were these seedlings the exact same strain? You didn't mention that. cannabis can be quite fickle. I started 3 different strains all at the same time all the same conditions. one of the seeds took 3 days longer to sprout than the others yet in a week it was by far twice the size of the other two. Ironically as time went on it turned out to be the smallest plant but the fattest buds at least two weeks earlier that the others, again all under the same conditions.

• JDU
                        JDU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do know a lil bit about genes & traits. Obviously different stains will grow differently- dif plants- within the SAME strain will show different traits & qualities even if they have the same parents. What Im sayin is that I had 2 seedlings a day & 1/2 apart who were growing equally until I put the younger & slightly smaller one under the Mars. It has thrived while the other has just plugged along like any other seedling I've raised.

• JDU
                        JDU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I switched their places so we'll se in a few days.

It’s also near impossible to determine whether or not the three seeds are from the same genetic parents.. which in that case would yield many different development patterns.Genetics controls all the chips in the end

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X