I need heat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO I need heat!

How much heat does a 450 watt hps give off?? I’m growing in a old Michigan basement, and it is On average 50 degrees Fahrenheit during winter. My heating costs are killing me. I’m thinking about changing lights to make up for the cold. I just don’t want to run a light and a heater. Am I doomed to have to wait for warmer temps? Any suggestions?? It breaks my heart to see my room empty.
    DWC hydroponic system 18”x36”x72” cabinet
    400w single ended hps (veg)
    7’l 3’w 7’h 600w single ended hps (bloom).
    Using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow A+B and sensi bloom A+B and orca microbes.
    1st grow OG 13 - 2nd grow Durban poison, Cinderella- 3rd currently bloom white fire og- 4th grow currently veg Bruce banner, gorilla glue- seeds on deck super lemon haze.

I don't know if your main interest is keeping the bill low or just not wasting money on electricity to keep temps up (this was my issue) but if you're just tired of wasting money on electric for heat I would strongly suggest just adding an HPS or two and grow some autoflowers in the open room that houses the tent. I grow in a poorly insulated and non heated room and this basically became my solution to spending money just for heat. I decided that burning 1000+w for heat just so I could grow with my little blurples was stupid when I could get much more light and the needed heat as a by-product.

Comment

But still, you don't want your plants at 50 degrees after lights out. It sounds like a winter grow room inside house is out of the question. I agree with FBL: more light, more heat.

Plants are in tent, right? Can't you just heat the tent with an oil-circulating heater? I'm thinking that would keep a tent warm set on quite a low temp.

That's what i use in my grow room... Like I always say, this ain't no cheap hobby...
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Rj420 One thought is to go buy some R-12 insulation (paper backing) or foam board insulation and strap the bats of insulation to the tent walls and top. It was my backup plan if my wife wasn’t going to let me run a 1500w heater.

alltatup I agree. Not a cheap hobby when getting started. Somebody that’s scraping a couple hundred $$ together to get started can still get good results on par with a grower that has the disposable income to start off at $2000 with all the best toys.

I think your comment hits the nail on the head alltatup : when your lights are out, you going to drop in temperatures creating big swings and possibly stressing plants. It’s also not been a very cold winter season but if it kicks in during February, you’ll see your temps swing again more dramatically. If saving the expense of heat is a goal, hold off until April or May. Despite your wish not to. See how your current grow handles the cooler nights. I’ve had temps at 60-62 but that’s day and night but the net results were very very good.

Comment

I read somewhere here that a 200W chicken coop heater would heat a small space like that. They have them on amazon. Never tried it though. I’m moving to Washington and the winters will be much colder there so I’ll be curious what everyone has to say.

Comment

Problems With Cold Temps

One of the big lessons in the past 3.5 years of growing: Temp, humidity and light will make my grow great or not so great. Knowing what equipment you need and how to tweak each one during different times of year is crucial.

Nobody can grow top shelf bud if the temps are too cold.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I had some of the same issues, in the same state growing in my pole barn so no heat hard to control temps, I switch out to a bigger tent with a heater inside and put some pink panther insulation around the sides and the top, it has been a lifesaver.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent Beard1181 smart thinking.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X