First time topping did I do it right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time topping did I do it right?

I just topped a plant for the first time. This is Dark Star. Can anyone tell from the photo if I did it correctly? I watched some YouTube videos and I had a little bit of a hard time telling he difference between topping and FIM-ing. Thanks for any input.

Kinda hard to tell but looks like you did fine. Not sure you fim though. The side shoots from where you topped if they had be taller/older you would of caught those with the fim I'm thinking. Do you know what nodes are?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

yes, I'm familiar with nodes. the plant had 4 nodes on it and I clipped what was coming out at the middle top. there were some very tiny nodes (I think you would call them nodes) coming out next to the shoot that I clipped. I left those tiny nodes in place. Am I describing this in a way that makes sense?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I understand. And yes you did a top not a fimming. Great job. Let us know if we can help along the way. Lots of great tutorials on this website, easy understandable teachings. Good Luck look forward to seeing your grow. Do not get overwhelmed keep it simple on your first few attempts, we don't like folks getting discouraged it can be overwhelming with so many options. Have fun above all

Thank you!

Comment

depending on how you intend to train and how long you veg for.. next time you may want to consider leaving a bit more stem above the node.

over time its possible that trunk may split.

Comment

That appears to be functional. I grow autos and wait until 5 nodes, top above the 4th leaving a bit more stem as wibe advises. I also remove nodes 1&2. Don't smoke popcorn, don't grow popcorn. Just personal preference learned from less than stellar grows.

Comment

Leave more stem next time. She's probably gonna split unless you support her legs now.

Comment

I left ample "stump" and I think I did the damage moving things about for better access going forward. I am rather surprised at myself as I didn't even flinch. Grabbed some repair stuff and a second set of hands and just stuck her back together. I didn't notice the split initially (I think it was about three days old when I spotted it) and it was just growing along like it didn't happen. I supported from underneath and put a plant yo-yo on each side to help squeeze the wound shut. It happens. For reference, this happened this week.
              TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
              EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
              AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
              IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely leave more next time and keep my eye on the trunk to make sure it doesn't split. Thank you all!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X