New growth wilt and other weird things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New growth wilt and other weird things

This is an outdoor grow. Literally overnight, new bud sites(not all) appeared wilted and have silvery tips on leaf ends on newest growth. Ends are discoloured and newest leaves are thin and curled inward. All other plants in same area, are fine. Amended soil with organics, PH neutral rainwater, fish emulsion x1 weekly, molasses fed twice a week. The other plants are thriving, as was this one, till yesterday.

We are in drought and have had extremely hot days, and winds. (At least, unlike some neighbours, we haven’t been burnt out.) I have checked the leaves with magnification and can see no signs of insect infestation. There is some interveinal yellowing on newer droopy leaves. Older leaves are green, robust and healthy.

I’ve never had a plant with this, and am at a loss as to what is causing it. Has anyone seen this before? I’d hate to lose this plant as it’s a strain I’ve been really keen to try. Please help! Any and all advice would be appreciated.

If those were my apples, I'd say Fire Blight. So I'd start with blight. Fungus or bacteria.
    2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
    2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
    2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
    2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

Indeed, I'm thinking Fusarium wilt.

Fusarium is a fungus claiming its home in the soil, where it wreaks havoc on root systems. The US government has declared a 'war on drugs' with regard to

2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
      2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
      2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
      2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

• Shell
        Shell commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for commenting.I just read the link you posted....I really hope that this isn’t Fusarium, as I gather it’s untreatable. Oddly enough, I do have clay soil to which I add mushroom compost, composted manure, perlite, worm castings, peat, etc to “lighten” the soil and give good drainage. I have grown in this area on and off for over 20 years...and this is the first time I’ve ever seen a plant with these symptoms. I’ll have to read more ...ie, is this contagious ? If it’s soil borne, can I treat the soil over winter with something? What should I do now???

• Shell
        Shell commented
        Editing a comment
        I destroyed the plant today. I think you were spot on with your diagnosis! I read what I could find, and it pretty well ticked all the boxes. At least it hasn’t spread..yet. I’m going to treat the soil there with some bacteria. Not a cure, but it won’t hurt. And I definitely won’t be planting in that spot in future. Thanks for your help

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X