Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Steps

Hi folks!
    Planning out my first ever grow. And before I get too far here, THANK YOU GWE !!! Your site very quickly became the hub of my research, and after a couple of months reading and planning, the next logical step before I actually plant is to say hi to some folks that are actually hands on. And this is also my first online forum, btw, so if somebody sees me messing up maybe just point me in the right direction, thx.Truly tech challenged here, lol.
    My wife and I are cannabis patients having the same problems as most folks getting reliably suitable meds. That got me looking. Further in we saw the hobby value in growing our own. SOLD!!!
    After researching the many cultivation styles, DWC seems to be the logical choice for us, even with the risks of using pure hydroponics. I followed most of the website template for a 600w top fed DWC system, making minor upgrades to facilitate versatility and more difficult grows. Doing it now saves me hassles and money later! Here's what I'm putting together:
    5×5×7 tent
    1000w MH\HPS
    3XL magnum hood
    galaxy select-a-watt amp
    DWC reservoir system
    GH flora trio
    Seeds are ordered. Peppermint Kush, Red Dragon, and freebies Red Leicester Tease. All fem.
    Planning to run the PK thru as my first grow because of smaller size. But I need advice here. Anyone here run this thru DWC? Can it be effectively manifolded for yield? Was kinda figuring its too small, maybe only suitable for top n FIM, but wanna bounce it off you all before I actually got growing. Don't want to miss out on any opportunities, right? lol.
    Would like ur thoughts on my reservoir also. I'm using a pretty large container. My logic goes along the lines of:
    one tub=slightly less start up equipment and I can run 2-4 manifolded plants together, but pretty much limited to one strain. But that's ok for this first run. Approx. 30 gals maybe less nute mix operating level in 48 gal res. Have a pump so change out not an issue.
    I will build more containers later to facilitate multi-strain grows, after I get more hands on learnin.
    I appreciate any feedback folks!

I am not a DWC grower, but just want to say welcome! You've come to the right place to get input. This forum has several extremely talented hydro growers, Karlee being one of them.

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your prep work before planting seeds, which is an excellent step.

Good luck, and I'm sure some hydro growers will be along soon.

Comment

Nice set of gear. I don't hydro either but it's super popular around here. Welcome.
    SSD

Comment

Hello and welcome. In my experience any strain can be main-lined. The final size of the plant is determined by you the grower. Even smaller strains can be kept in veg stage until the desired size is reached. I am a DWC grower. I currently use Lowe's 5 gallon buckets. I have 12 plants going at one time, 6 in veg, 6 in flower. The problem with more than one plant in the same container is the roots quickly get tangled and mistakes / problems happen to all the plants. It's sounds like you have a great start with knowledge and equipment and bound for success.

Comment

Greetings traveler from a galaxy far, far away....WAIT a minuet! wrong intro.
        Welcome to the forum intergalactic_harvester,
        I'm on my fifth DWC grow. I have two 12 gallon reservoirs (Sterilite totes) with six 3 3/4" net pot in each. I use a continuous flow recirculating system (127 gph water pump) and two 4" air stones for oxygenation in each reservoir. I feed the nutrient mix at the beginning of the week and top off the reservoirs with pH adjusted water at mid week. I use the GH MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom nutrients and have had very good results.
        I would strongly recommend reading all of the information on the GWE site pertaining to the DWC methods. I would also recommend starting off slowly, at first, and keeping records to make it easier to make educated decisions in the future.
        Good luck with your grow and You will find that the folks here are friendly and very helpful, and will help out with advice and recommendations for whatever problem you encounter, growing problems, that is. (LOL)
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Welcome Inter

I DWC love it! my experience is in 10 gallon totes a plant with 5 gallons water and the roots have room to grow and fill that bucket in the end so I'd go at the very least 5 gallons a plant for water more would give them room to not mingle with each other , My guessing is they aren't good players with each other (bullies everywhere.

Just me but the first grow is a hurry up and wait and you learn so much that you can't believe it isn't hard to grow. But you've got kick ass equipment and seem ready with the big guns watch your PH and they love the airstones. This was 2 plants in a 4x4 tent I got 18 oz.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0149.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	8.65 MB
ID:	36694
          Bubblehead
          4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
          4 Cures and a Life time gardener
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

• Karlee
            Karlee commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL you know King I never had a die off of leaves it looked healthy enough not to be harvested. And this was clones off the seeded mom and the clone gets me higher

• intergalactic_harvester
            intergalactic_harvester commented
            Editing a comment
            beautiful! and bangin yield!

• rockman
            rockman commented
            Editing a comment
            Lots of smiles there Karlee....beautiful! 😊😊😊😊

thank you all! this is super exciting for me, been almost obssessively immersed in research for the last couple months and I'm dying to get my hands dirty. still waiting on some equipment, but I figure I'm 2 weeks from planting. Plenty of time for res mods. All of my grows will be logged, prolly too much at first but better too much than too little bein so new. I'm not a big fan of halfassery, and for my own sanity and satisfaction I need to be as organized as possible! I can already see that this is the place for me, you guys are awesome!

Comment

• Karlee
            Karlee commented
            Editing a comment
            Truly every kind of help for you here, and I love these grows so much if I can help at all just scream my way!

I have the 600 watt light and I think 10 oz is the threshold a plant but a 1000 watt LOL I can't afford to run that light I'm saving for an LED they are better on the power bill and growing great looking pot now.

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like You have a plan and the will to implement it!
            Good luck!

Dwc is the way to go for sure. If you grow photo-periods you probably will quickly set up another tent for vegging. Good growing to you !! Btw great hobbie.
          Focus and relativity.

Comment

Hi Interg. and welcome to the forum!! I am a DWC grower and I wouldn't be afraid to attempt it. I looked up the strain, and it grows to medium height, suitable for indoor grows, so cut away!! Ain't gonna hurt it none...
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X