Clone photoperiod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clone photoperiod question

My light, Viparspectra TC1350, recommends a 3-5 day acclimation period at 10 on/14 off, then 12/12 for seedlings and young vegetative, then 18/6 for regular vegetative plants. I’m starting with clones and I understand the need to take it easy on them but won’t I run the risk of early flowering if I start my clones at 12/12? I’m thinking maybe I’ll start them at 12/12 with the light dimmed down for a few days and then gradually raise the intensity from there over a week to where I want it for veg and then switch them to 18/6. So they’d be in 12/12 for like a week and a half. Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

4x4x8 Gorilla original grow tent
    Viparspectra TC1350 light
    (timer/spectrum control)
    Hydrofarm JetFan 6” mixed flow 350CFM FAN
    Vortex Pro lite 6” x 16” 400CFM carbon filter
    2 Vivosun oscillating pole fans
    Century 2 outlet digital timer for pole fans
    5 gal nursery pots
    Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil
    Fox Farm nutrient trio

My clones get light pretty much 24 hours a day unless I need to turn off lights but then they are so small I can move them around as I keep 2 HIDs going 24/7 I just keep them about a foot or so below the canopy or off to the side of larger plants for 2-3 days while keeping an eye on them for stretching. Then move them up to the same distance as normal vegging plants over a couple of days. If you put them in the dark for 12 hours or more a day, they will flower.

Comment

I would run at least 14 hours per day light on your clones, they will flower at 12s

Comment

I keep em in the veg tent & they get the same amount of light & sleep as everything else.

Comment

18 -6 don't risk it

Comment

Thank you all. Got my plants today and they already have 4-5 nodes and have been pinched once. I’m starting with my led at about 50% at 18/6 for 2-3 days and then will increase gradually to full power over a couple days. The plants are bigger than I expected so I’m not as worried about frying them. Got 4 platinum zkittlez and look forward to trying it for the first time.

(timer/spectrum control)
            5 gal nursery pots
            Fox Farm nutrient trio

Comment

You could also reduce the light they're getting by raising them up a little higher. Even let them stretch just a little bit, you might prune offf less before flipping.
              Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Please tell me if this is correct. The plants are less sensitive to light during the dark period in veg than they are when flowering right? I may get a small amount of light intrusion into my tent at night until a part comes in for the inlet vent light traps I’m building. After that it will be 100% dark in there.

(timer/spectrum control)
                5 gal nursery pots
                Fox Farm nutrient trio
                4 platinum zkittlez

Comment

• alwaystoned
                  alwaystoned commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, this is because in order to bloom, cannabis plants can only create the hormone that causes them to flower when in total darkness. Even a blinking light in your tent when in bloom could cause them to reveg or go hermie, but before bloom, if it's kept minimal, you shouldn't have any issues.

• DingusKhan
                  DingusKhan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Even a red, lighted switch on a power strip can be a bright light in a dark tent.

But like alwaystoned sez, a light leak in veg is no big deal. Only matters in flower.

alwaystoned thanks! That helps my stress level a lot. I know how important darkness is in flowering. Last year I got cocky and left a 60 watt lightbulb on about 75’ from my plants. 2 hermed and the rest took like an extra month to finish flowering. The herms left me with over a pound of great smokable weed absolutely packed with seeds. Anyone know a good way to separate them?

(timer/spectrum control)
                5 gal nursery pots
                Fox Farm nutrient trio
                4 platinum zkittlez

Comment

• JDU
                  JDU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pinch/roll your fingers from the stem up like milkin a cow & most if not all of them will pop right out.

That’s badass thank you.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X