Automated Grow Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated Grow Light

I'm trying to devise an automated system to raise and lower my grow light. I've found this https://hydrobuilder.com/sun-system-...ft-hanger.html

And that would serve my purpose, but I need to control/operate it remotely, as in over the internet. I'm thinking there has to be a way to do this. Any suggestions?
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

golfnrl

​​​​​​​That hanger is cool!

btw Big Bloom is a full cycle supplemental nutrient. I use it with FF Tiger Bloom during flowering but I’m not growing organically. The plants need potassium to flower properly.

I apologize if I’m missing something!

Comment

Article says it can be controlled remotely - just get the app.

Not a bad idea - takes away considerable amount of vertical space - would be alright if you have a low grow.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at the app and read the instructions, (a novel idea, Not sure why I haven't tried that before), and the range of the remote is thirty feet. Yes, the need for lowering/raising the light will be at the start of my next grow. Have about a 12 day period I'd like to be able to raise the light. If I can't figure it out I'll wait...but I'd like to get started.

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        My COB light has rope with a ratchet attachment on one end. Very easy to raise or lower.
        One per corner.

Just my 2 cents on this...while the product you linked is accessed through local Bluetooth connectivity, the app will more than likely be designed to chat to the internet.

Why would somebody need to control light height from across the internet? Not everything in life needs access to the online world. The security risks of exposing your network and privacy from a device that will have almost zero security protocols installed by the designer is disproportionate to what a person gains by having an internet engaged device.

Add to the fact that a device like this creates more points of failure to worry about, and not just mechanical failures, but software failures. For example, what happens if there is a power outage? How does the device respond at the time...will it crash the lights down onto the plants (and the hot lights would burn everything they touch), hold the same position, or raise to the ceiling? Once the power comes back on what is the recovery of the device...reposition to last know height, continue laying across the tops of the canopy (which would be homicide to the plants if the lights turn back on while laying across them), or raise to the ceiling waiting for human intervention?

Automation is not always necessary. Internet engagement is almost never necessary. If your growing in a 3x3x7 space, this is way way way too much overkill vs what you get in return.

Again...just my 2 cents.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your $.02 - now tell us what you smoked before your fingers went all turbocharged over the keyboard.

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey YYCannabis...understood. I was a bit unclear, I'm not looking to be hands off or anything like that, but, I am trying to have a bit of fun. Risk factors noted and considered. This would be a one off solution. If it doesn't work out, I'll wait.

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Canuck... Big Bang was the choice today. I get a bit passionate about web security and needless web connected devices. DDOS is a growing issue due to poorly designed web connected devices. (Database management and security is one of my side gigs)

Golf...I hope you didn’t take offense to my rant. I’m truly trying to help you with some decision making. A new hobby can drive the enthusiasm to procure bigger and better things. We all can get tunnel vision for new toys and fail to see what are the risks vs rewards. I believe the money could be better spent on the garden instead of the fancy light hoist.

I think if you can afford it that thing is awesome.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X