Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which saucer for 5 gal smart pot? Do any of you use rollers in your tents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which saucer for 5 gal smart pot? Do any of you use rollers in your tents?

I'm finally getting to the point where I will be fully prepared to start my grow. I was looking around for some large plant saucers to accommodate my smart pots. I'm also intrigued by rollers, which would make shuffling the plants around a little easier. They add about 3" in height though...thoughts?
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

You don't want to cut off air circulation around the pot - including the bottom. You need some kind of riser. I use old bbq grates.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

At least 14" if you want any room for runoff. You might get away with 12" but I would try to use 14-16".

I have thought about using furniture dollies to roll things around but have never implemented any so I can't comment on just how handy or pita they might be. I typically only use 2-3 gallon pots though so they aren't too heavy, even when recently watered. I can definitely see how they'd be handy in lots of situations though.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
        You don't want to cut off air circulation around the pot - including the bottom. You need some kind of riser. I use old bbq grates.
        Awesome observation - Thank You!
        A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally get where your coming from BR2K but riser are great help. My hubby made me a couple rolling pot stands for outdoor with 30gal pot.

SoOrbudgal Thanks - I think I may forego the roller trays and go with some sort of riser set up. I'll keep my eyes open for things that may fit the bill.

Comment

Easiest riser I know of is 5 or 6 2” inch pvc dwv couplings zip tied together. It’s what I use to elevate my fabric pots out of plant saucers. And allows air circulation if it’s not a smooth bottom saucer.
          4x4 flower tent
          sour dream
          Blue Diesel
          Trainwreck
          platinum Girl Scout cookies

2x4 veg tent
          Green Dream
          Sour Dream
          blue dream
          Freakshow

Comment

I bought a piece of closet shelfing from Home Depot and stacked bricks on either side, high enough that I could slide my "catch-runoff-trays" underneath.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-24...-202336279-_-N
            3'x3'x6' Cool Grow Tent and Large Wooden Cabinet
            3 and 5 Gallon Fabric Pots
            Coco Coir with 30% Perlite
            2-450 watt Vipar Spectra LEDs
            4" Exhaust with Vivosun Fan and Carbon Filter
            6" Oscilatting Fan
            GH Flora-Trio Nutes with Cal-Mag and GH Liquid Kool Bloom

"Why Do You Keep Banging Your Head Against That Wall?"
            "'Cause It Feels So Good When I stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Sledrock View Post
              I bought a piece of closet shelfing from Home Depot and stacked bricks on either side, high enough that I could slide my "catch-runoff-trays" underneath.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-24...-202336279-_-N
              I like that idea too. I think I may have to stop off and do some shopping!

Comment

I made the mistake of letting my Wild White Widow get too tall b4 finally switching to 12x12. (It was supposed to be an Auto - was a photo!). So I had to resort to removing several bricks to gain more headroom for the lights. That lowered my pots enough that I was unable to slide my runoff pans out to dump without spilling water everywhere. I conned my wife into letting me use her Turkey Baster to suck the runoff water out of the pans. It took nearly 20 "sucks" per tray to accomplish the job So today I went to Home Depot and bought a small wet/dry shop vac. I think I'll be using it a lot in the future instead of dumping the pans ,which with my geriatric-ass, I sometimes managed to spill water anyway while walking over to the floor drain. Here's the vac I bought: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-...2025/308699706
                Last edited by Sledrock; 01-11-2020, 07:11 PM.
                3'x3'x6' Cool Grow Tent and Large Wooden Cabinet
                3 and 5 Gallon Fabric Pots
                Coco Coir with 30% Perlite
                2-450 watt Vipar Spectra LEDs
                4" Exhaust with Vivosun Fan and Carbon Filter
                6" Oscilatting Fan
                GH Flora-Trio Nutes with Cal-Mag and GH Liquid Kool Bloom

"Why Do You Keep Banging Your Head Against That Wall?"
                "'Cause It Feels So Good When I stop"

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL Sledrock yes it's a pain in the ass to use the baster that's why I carry them to the tub until they get to big and bushy to. I think the small shop vac is great idea. Geriatric ass gonna tell my hubby that one LOL

Originally posted by Sledrock View Post
                I made the mistake of letting my Wild White Widow get too tall b4 finally switching to 12x12. (It was supposed to be an Auto - was a photo!). So I had to resort to removing several bricks to gain more headroom for the lights. That lowered my pots enough that I was unable to slide my runoff pans out to dump without spilling water everywhere. I conned my wife into letting me use her Turkey Baster to suck the runoff water out of the pans. It took nearly 20 "sucks" per tray to accomplish the job So today I went to Home Depot and bought a small wet/dry shop vac. I think I'll be using it a lot in the future instead of dumping the pans ,which with my geriatric-ass, I sometimes managed to spill water anyway while walking over to the floor drain. Here's the vac I bought: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-...2025/308699706
                Dang dude, while I'm sure it was a PITA, it sure makes for hilarious reading I can't get the picture of you using that turkey baster out of my head LOL!

It's remarkable coincidence, in a couple of regards: 1. I just finished reading Nebula's guide on plant height 2. I just purchased a wet/dry vacuum for my new home.

Thanks for sharing!
                Last edited by BR2K; 01-12-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	46852239-AC80-46A5-98B1-030AD5922832.jpeg
Views:	1400
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	366204Click image for larger version

Name:	A6C98A52-CCF6-4B04-BDE8-CDE6B3FDC509.jpeg
Views:	1382
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	366203Click image for larger version

Name:	E16A8951-9732-408E-B5A0-6B738400B7F2.jpeg
Views:	1411
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	366202 I just got these for my 5 gal pots. They’re pretty sturdy and you could definitely put a screen across the top without the plants crushing them.

Hydrofarm HGS16P Green Premium,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XOSH78...p_mob_ap_share

sorry about the rotated pics. Not sure why they’re doing that.

4x4x8 Gorilla original grow tent
                  Viparspectra TC1350 light
                  (timer/spectrum control)
                  Hydrofarm JetFan 6” mixed flow 350CFM FAN
                  Vortex Pro lite 6” x 16” 400CFM carbon filter
                  2 Vivosun oscillating pole fans
                  Century 2 outlet digital timer for pole fans
                  5 gal nursery pots
                  Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil
                  Fox Farm nutrient trio

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Best you be getting that nice new tent dirty real quick

I use a 2x4 foot flood table keep piece of wood under one side so run off goes to that side easier to vac up
                  i keep three 5 gallon pots in each table
                  5x5 tent
                  2000 watt Aglex cob series
                  Mars SP250
                  Six inch carbon filter
                  Current grow 2 x ice cream cake, 2 x Torontonian Cookies 2 x shishkaberry and 1 x BC OG all reg​​ seeds

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X