Dark period temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark period temperature

Hello My friends! currently 11 weeks into my first indoor grow, and was wondering if the temperature during the dark period, need to change from the lights on period. my grow tent stays between 75-80 degrees 24/7. it that good for optimum growth, or does it need to cool down during the dark period?

If you can maintain that temp, you will be just fine. That is almost ideal.

Comment

Those are good temps! Some people like it to get a bit cooler at night, it's supposed to increase resin yield and trichomes as a plant "defense mechanism" or so I've read. It's not necessary though, but I guess it does imitate nature a bit more accurately.

Comment

yes from what i understand cooler nights promote colour pheno characteristics to emerge, and warmer nights promote stretching.

it would be an interesting area of study for cannabis cause for a while its been known some epiphyte plants only really flower in at least 10 degrees F cooler nights.

Comment

I'd be perfectly happy with those temps. Some natural temp flux is okay and usually expected with homes heating up and cooling, and lights being on and off, but if it can stay steady and stay under 80 that's perfect.

I've been letting my overnight temps fall too low and I've paid for it by purpling leaves and foilage too early into flower.

Comment

Since i'm a very minimal user of grow products other than my tent and lights and a few store bought nutes/ferts i'm really not qualified to answer this question. But......our upstairs room where the tent is stays about 68-70 during the day, at night it will drop down below 65 and my tent does too when lights are out. Think about how outdoor is when growing. Just a thought but I do agree of control you can get indoors and sure 78-80 is great year round LOL
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

What I have noticed is when the temps are allowed to drop a bit at night the aroma increases, and if the temps drop greatly (say 50F) expect to see colours!

Comment

Thanks guys, maybe that’s why my girls keep stretching. My light comes on at 6 pm and off at 6 am. The room on its own would stay between 65-70, but I have small room heater in the the room, outside the tent on a timer that comes on 15 mins every hour. So it may actually be a few degrees warmer during the dark cycle. I’m going to monitor the dark period today and adjust the heater to get the temperature down to 68 like a socal summer night, lol

Comment

They will naturally get stretchy during their stretching phase, but 12/12 would have nothing to do with abnormal stretch. I wouldn't think about bringing temps any lower. They are already a touch on the cool side, no point bringing temps cooler.

Comment

lol yeah they will stretch regardless but i have heard that warmer nights encourage it.

Comment

I get more growth when lights are out it seems. And early on first month of 12/12
                      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                      indoor/outdoor grower
                      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Learn exactly how to maintain the rigth temperature for your indoor cannabis grow room.

Comment

looks like i got it backwards after reading the primer..

""By artificially raising temperatures during the dark period, it will slow stretching plants that are growing too tall too quickly. That means warmer nights can be a helpful way to reduce the “stretch” if you’re growing in a situation where you don’t have a lot of vertical room. And never forget about supercropping, the ultimate way to break down the height of your plant at any time.""

my bad, should know better.

Comment

thanks for clearing that up. when light went off yesterday, i shut down the heater, and checked it temp in side the tent every hour or so and it stayed at 70-71 degrees all day. this morning, when i checked them, lights on for 10 hours, two of the cola had curled leaves. what do you think caused that? my thought is water. I have been watering every 3rd day, but I think i may to to to go to every other. do flower plants drink more than vegging plants?

Comment

It looks like wind burn or temp stress. Not sure why you're determined to cool your plants down when they really dont need it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                              X