Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First grow! Bottoms leaves turning yellow on 19 day old plants. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! First grow! Bottoms leaves turning yellow on 19 day old plants. Help!

Hi there! I'm a newb to the forum and to growing, so I've got a lot to learn. Hoping your fine folks could give me a hand. I've got two 19 day old plants that I've started running into some trouble with. The lower leaves have begun to turn yellow and I'm seeing some yellow streaking throughout the leaves. The upper leaves look beautiful and I'm seeing some real growth (on the larger plant) despite the yellowing.

I'm growing in hydro with General Hydroponics trio as my notes. They are under a 300w LED about 18-20 inches away 24 hours a day. I'm using the nutrient schedule provided by Nebula and pretty much designed my entire set-up based on her suggestions in the bubbleponics guide. I've been keeping the temperature about 78 degrees and the humidity around 50-60% but I've found it hard to keep it really stable. I've been using PH test strips to check my PH but since I started seeing the yellowing, I worried that perhaps the strips aren't accurate enough and went ahead and purchased the General Hydroponics PH test kit and am just waiting on it to arrive. So, I'm not 100% sure on my PH but I was thinking it was around 6 based on the strips.. but that could be wrong. I'm using hard water from our well. When I had it tested it had a ph of 7, TDS 250, calcium 84, magnesium 30, potassium 5. The test was taken in 2016 so I'm not sure if those numbers should remain pretty stable?

The larger plant is called 2 Vast 2 Fast Auto from Heavyweight Seeds and the small one is OG Kush Auto from Seedsman. They were staying neck in neck until about day 10 when the 2 Fast 2 Vast took off and the OG Kush really just stopped growing and looked witty. I backed off on the water schedule for the small guy and he seemed to improve but really hasn't grown height-wise much at all.

I hope that's all the info you're looking for. Thanks for the help with my girls in advance!

At first look this looks like potassium deficiency but it could be result of improper pH. At what pH do you water your plants? You can get pH pen tester. I think it would be available at convenience/tools store.
    Leaves with a potassium deficiency have yellow, brown, or burnt edges and tips. It may look like nutrient burn, but the leaf margins also turn yellow.
    2.5 x 2.5 tent
    Viparspectra PAR600
    4" Fan & Filter
    Coco-Perlite
    GH Trio + Cal Mag

Current Grow:
    1x Cream Cookies
    1x Pineapple Express
    1x Northern Lights
    1x White Widow

Comment

Originally posted by herbgrower View Post
      At first look this looks like potassium deficiency but it could be result of improper pH. At what pH do you water your plants? You can get pH pen tester. I think it would be available at convenience/tools store.
      https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...ium-deficiency
      After looking at the plant doctor page, I thought it looked like a potassium or magnesium deficiency and also the PH fluctuation stress. I'm getting a new PH tester in the mail tomorrow and am going to test it right away and hopefully get everything corrected at that point, PH-wise. If I'm still seeing damage after making those changes than I'll see what kind of supplements I can add in. Do you know how long I will need to give the corrected PH before assuming there is more going on? Can I just correct the water in the hydro set up with PH up or down or do I need to do a complete water change? I only changed it about 5 days ago... I would like to go closer to 10 if I can!

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it!

Comment

• herbgrower
        herbgrower commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a novice and not a hydro grower so I can't really suggest what to do. I faced the same problem and mistook it for deficiencies and ultimately learned my lesson on pH.

You can adjust the current water in your system. I'm guessing you have a lock out from improper ph. I tried an experiment this grow. During veg I did water changes every 2 weeks instead of my usual weekly change out. It cut my nute usage in half and I seen no ill effects. Now that I'm in flower it's every 9 days. They use a lot of water so as soon as my ppm gets down to about 400 I do my change out. I'm very happy with the results so far. Hope you get it all figured out

Comment

SirSmksAlot has it right - nute lockout caused by improper ph.
        Last edited by Canuck147; 01-08-2020, 04:38 PM.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Thanks guys! I finally got my PH tester in and it was definitely off. I must have over-done it on the PH down and locked out some nutrients. I got it adjusted and things are looking better. The big girl (2Fast2Vast) is growing like crazy! The small one is definitely stunted, but I'm keeping her going to see what happens. This being my first run, I am taking it all as lessons!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X