Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do pistils only turn brown from top down in healthy grows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do pistils only turn brown from top down in healthy grows?

so i chopped a good size branch off my grow and besides the golden coloring it actually looks pretty healthy for a 5 week flower.

the stock cross section is a bit hallow but green and firm, the smaller buds on the way up to the top do have an off putting brown colour and the cola is so frosted it's hard to tell whats underneath, but i think a major indicator that had me worried is the hairs turning brown from the base of the bud up to the top.

i always observed in photos and early loupe checks that the hairs begin to whither from the tip down.

what has been your experience?

If i'm understanding what your saying/asking...….pistols that turn brown and curl in are a normal occurrence. It's trichomes we are taught to look for in ripeness.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

i'm asking how the change happens from turning white to a colour, usually of brown shade.

does it always occur from the tip down, or sometimes all at once, or is it normal for the base of the hair to turn brown first and the white tip is the last bit to change color?

Comment

seems like the tip turns last

Comment

thanks thats what i was wondering because under the loupe early on i was just seeing reduced volume and scrawny whithering from the tips but maybe that was on ones that got handled.

not from the top of the plant down to lower buds, just single pistil as it matures.

i noticed buds on my plant turning brownish and then pistil bottoms turn also, while the tips of the hairs are still white.. i guess this is normal for pink or purple varieties though so maybe i dont have root or budrot issues afterall.

i added some benefitial enzymes just as a precaution to the pro-mix medium and will water a day later than scheduled to dry roots out a tad.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            How's your plant looking today?

thanks for asking.

i think there was at least a minor underlying root or pathogen issue, the "waste control" enzyme helped and the sagging leaves seem to have perked up a little.

i also trimmed off any leaves that had browned or whithered at all so the overall complexion is pretty improved just from that.

i am wondering though if maybe i'm just jumping the gun on buds changing colour because i'm pretty sure i see pink at the top of some colas now, so possibly browning was a transition colour.

i used a raw canvas bag given free at a bread and honey festival for one of my girls and it got blotchy with stains early on so i was on edge early on about that.

i'm close enough to harvest now that i'll skip feeding and just flush each watering and give a maintenence dose of enzymes.

the pro-mix all purpose had a bunch of perlite added and there are some slow release nutes in there which i hope is enough to tide over any requirements.

​​​​​​i'm cold curing the branch i chopped yesterday morning, 50F at 30%.. i'd like to get higher humidity but for now it will have to do.

closely monitoring for fuzz or mold in case the browning was dead buds but when i watered the plants in the afternoon they let off a nice pungent smell that makes me think i'm on the right track.
          Last edited by wibe; 01-06-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

What are the enzymes that you are adding and what are they for?

Comment

i used something intended for aquariums to break down waste due to lack of hydroponic shops locally and time restraints on what i felt was an emergency issue.

similar to pond-zyme or stress-zyme, it breaks down the dead material around rotting material like maggots would around dead flesh from what i understand.

old secret sauce trick i remember from back in the day, i only grew once in high school but had to abort when the plant got too noticable and the neighbours started giving me props..

i moved on to rare highland orchids in terreriums during college and now that its legal in Canada i couldent resist trying my hand at what i got so caught up in reading about on the "world wide weed" of the internet in the 90's.

Comment

Wowie, that’s interesting, Wibe! Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

Why don't you put up some pictures.
                  Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                  2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                  Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

i didn't know you cared.

Comment

• Farmall
                      Farmall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahaha

here is a cola that was getting darker buds and now shows hues of pink at the tips of some buds/the base of some pistils..

its really subtle, more noticable irl but in the photo if you know where to look you can see it.

its weird it was looking almost like the part of the bud tip was turning black and then all of the sudden it pops with pink.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think it looks like a strain from " pink "

i think its from a seed i got from sampling offerings in quebecs legal cannabis shops.

i do recall getting pink something or another at some point.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X