Seeds have spouted when do I add light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeds have spouted when do I add light?

Hi all, I’m new here and am doing my first grow. I’ve been reading this website for a couple of hours each day but still find myself with a lot of questions. I germinated some Darkstar seeds in a dome using rapid rooters. All seeds have sprouted and pushed through the plug on the hole. They were started on 12/26 and have been in a dark tent since then. Yesterday I added a heating pad and that when things really started happening. Now that they have sprouted I’m not sure when I should take the dome off and add light. I have 2x4x5 tent and a 400w HPS light. Do I turn the light on 16/8 now or is there an intermediate step to get them ready for the big light. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

They need to be under light or they will stretch or go straight into flowering. I put my seeds under light as soon as i plant them (18 hrs on 6 hrs off though 16/8 should work too). With HID lights have them up higher than recommended until the first set of true leaves or if you notice unwanted stretching as HIDs are too strong for seedlings at normal height. I prefer to start seeds under cfl's and then move to HID lights as it saves energy and is easier to start seedlings with. (can keep light closer without issues).

Are you using a MH or just HPS. I would advise against just HPS as the orange/yellow light in HPS promotes stretching. I use a MH for veg and HPS for flower and CFL for seedlings and clones.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

am I understanding correctly that you recommend removing the dome and going to 18/6 with CFL? Transplant the rapid rooter to soil once the tap root comes out the bottom of the plug and then switch to MH 18/6 for veg? Is that correct?

My ballast says HPS on it. I do have a bulb that is labeled a 400w MH conversion bulb. Would that work with my HPS ballast?

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        You dont have to remove the dome nor do you have to use cfls it's just what i have found works for me. I recommend using what you have before getting more equipment personally. Yes your bulb should work as long as it is the same wattage or lower than the ballast. You can start them in with the HID just have the light up an extra foot from the recommended height. Keep a close eye on the seedlings to look for stretching or light burn and if you see stretching lower it 6 inches. If no light burn but more stretching lower it some more. If you see light stress/burn raise it up. The first time you grow with a new light takes some trial and error to get the perfect height.The reason i like CFLs is because they can be kept a few inches away without burning the plants (I'd do 6-8 inches away as seedlings) but they are not necessary.

Sunday bloody Sunday welcome to the GWE grow forum. So you have been reading about growing for a couple hrs.a day for days It helps to know the basics before you germinate the seed. I use LED for growing so not a HPS person but I do know it's to big for just seedlings unless it's set at like 40" above it? And 18/6 on off for vegging. May just want to invest in a CFL or t-5 for the future seedlings. Do you have a soil or nutrients choosen?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I had a 40 watt screw in CFL bulb that I just put into an old desk lamp and put on the seed sprouts. I also turned off the heating pad and removed the dome.

Ive got a bag of FoxFarm Ocean Forest that I was planning to use for soil. Once the tap root comes though the bottom of the plugs I was going to move to solo cups with the Fox Farm. Does that sound reasonable?

Comment

I would put them in the cups now that way as soon as the roots start leaving the plug, it will already be in soil.

Comment

Just moved them to solo cups. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Ocean Forest is a rich soil, and may give your seedlings nutrient burn. If it's not too late, you might consider getting some seedling mix from your local hardware store, and filling your solo cup with that instead, and save the Ocean Forest for when you transplant into a 3 gallon or bigger smart pot, or your preferred container.

Even then, when I use Ocean Forest, I mix in about 15% each perlite and (washed, precharged with CalMag) coco fiber to improve aeration and drainage. OF is heavy and easy to overwater. Not badmouthing, just saying it is a good product that does not make growing pot easier. I just started a bag of today.
              Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• billyboy
                billyboy commented
                Editing a comment
                smd1973 I use FFOF w/ a 20% perlite mix and never have a nute burn issue

I’ve already put them in the ocean Forest. Should I take my chances with nutrient burn or move then to a more basic soil until they are ready for the big pots?

Comment

• DingusKhan
                DingusKhan commented
                Editing a comment
                If you just moved them, like in the last day or two, and they haven't had time to grow new roots, I would take the chance and carefully lift out your rooter, and moving it to a seedling mix.

If it has been a few days, and you worry that your tap root has already gotten big enough to worry about damaging it, then I would leave it alone and watch for severe nutrient burn, flush if necessary.

But if you can put her in the right mix now, she will thank you later for taking her out of the dense stuff now.

So obviously you are concerned about doing everything right. Even well seasoned growers get issues so rather than make yourself tense, try a few each way and see how it works for you. All the comments here are from the heart. I have used the same methods as Tersky has mentioned. 6500k CFL’s for about 3 weeks in solo cups and transplant when the plants are around 6” tall. At that time there is a myriad of roots developing. As DingusKhan suggests, if you damage the tap root you can mess up the grow and if you see nutrient burn, flush. Seedlings can handle overwatering more than established plants but ...don’t overwater.

Every crop I’ve ever grown has been started after germination in Fox Farm Ocean Forest, except for hydroponics. I have 3 giant bags of perlite I’ve never used. Never saw any burn but that’s not to say many have not seen it happen. I’d wait before adding any nutrients about 3 weeks as well. Once again, all suggestions on what has worked on my end, Tersky and DingusKhan and SoOrbudgal and FunkyButtLovin. Getting it over the first few weeks means a great healthy start for the next steps

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X