How bad would this go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad would this go?

I have a large amount of leaf and steam, I am thinking of doing an extraction with water, but without butter/oil. Put all the decarbed chopped up material in a SS pot with distilled water and bring the temp to around 100*F to maybe 120*F and hold it there for 8 to 12 hours. Set the pot outside in the cold and then removed the oils that come to the top. I know the butter/oil is to aid in recovering the extracted oils, but I dont want the added fats. I want to be able to smoke it as well as eat it.
    So whats your thoughts? A huge mess or?

I can seen were you are going with this Rwise I wonder what kind of volume you would need to have a worth while recovery and if you would extract.

I would think if it doesn't then use ice and/or freezing before starting would help fix that.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I think making hash would be more effective. But then again I am not sure if what you mention would work.
      You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Usually, in alcohol extraction, winterization ( freezing the wash) is used to remove natural waxes in the leaf to discard it and avoid having it in the end product. I’d love to hear how you make out.

Comment

I will give it a go and we'll see how it works, I mean it will cost almost nothing to do, I have boxes full of leaf, steams and larf.
          In looking at decarb devices, the ardent nova runs 120* for 12 hours to do the job, would I need to do a decarb first, or would it do the job in the wash? (running it @ 120*F for 12 hours)
          I have done an alcohol reduction, a lot of expense for the solvent if one cannot suck it off and reuse it, not to mention the small batch size.
          On the shopping list for next to town trip, 10 gallons of distilled water!

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Why not just dry ice hash? Sounds a lot easier to me...

And you can't program the temperature on the Nova, nor program it for 12 hours. It runs for 90-120 minutes, and then it shuts off. ... ???

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll second that...the most mine ever ran was about 110 minutes.has never let me down. bless The Source Turbo. It recovers the alcohol and you’d never know it was already used. That credit goes to Alltatup. She convinced me to get one and that thing is flawless. The resultant concentrate requires the tiniest dot of material and I can only sleep it off if I over do the size bigger than a grain of rice...small grain of rice. The same 1/2 gallon of solvent has lasted thru over 20 uses of 300ml each and I still have it!!!

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Basically I dont have the equipment or the budget,,,

i think you gonna end up with a lot of CBN and no thc due to over decarb

Comment

OK so shorten the time,,, maybe 2 hours at temp

Comment

Ok, I am refining the process a bit,
              I have 6 gallons of distilled water, more than enuf.
              I have about 3 gallons of chopped up leaf/steams
              I will heat the water to 120*F before it is added to the material (so it has less time in the hot water) then poor it over the weed
              Keep it hot for 60 minutes (maybe stir it a bit) and remove from the heat and let it cool
              once cooled collect the oils that float on the water. Leaf material to the compost, water the plants with the tea, I dont waist anything! (I may have some myself)
              So any thoughts as to further changes that would do better?

next is what to do with roots!

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                I am really looking forward to seeing what happens!! Please take pictures of the process.

• Eliot Pryor
                Eliot Pryor commented
                Editing a comment
                You ever start a fire with flint and steel ? That's what the roots are good for. Have a great grow !!

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                Turn the roots into lotion.

Sounds like a little garlic, potatoes and olive oil Sauté d with the leaves and you’ve got super cannabis spinach

i am questioning the water temp.... if cannabis compounds are “safe” under (random pick here) 200F, would the warmer water not extract a greater quantity of fats, waxes and other compounds? Thinking out loud

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	361178Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	361179 First pic without flash 2nd with, An hour in, not sinking yet, water is getting dark
                the butter made in crock pots does come to a simmer which would be near 212*F

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh boy oh boy, Witches brew!!!!!!!!!

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My Cauldron is much bigger,,,,

Still warm this morn, and still some floating, what happened to cooked spinach sinking,,,?

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rwise You're thinking of witches: witches sink, God-fearing Cannabis floats...

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I will add a SS screen to hold it down, most has sunk now

Rwise are you seeing anything coming out of the water that says “ yes, it’s working”

Comment

Farmall Does this count?
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	361827
                  Last edited by Rwise; 01-01-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• alltatup
                    alltatup commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I see some snakes, rat's toes and puppy dog tails.

• Rwise
                    Rwise commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Long as you dont spot the dragons wart and toad scales,,,

Rwise .. looked a the photo and a smile came across my face instantly

Comment

From this I will try again, but I want a SS bag to put the weed in! Got to make it cleaner,,,BTW this is just water leaf and sticks. (or what I call mulch) so any gain is better than none.

Comment

• Farmall
                      Farmall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Are you going to filter it?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X