Recommendation(s) for PH Pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation(s) for PH Pen?

My plan for my first grow is ever-evolving. I have been studying GWE and come to a couple of conclusions - 1. My first grow will be autos. 2. I want a PH pen. 3. I will likely use smaller grow bags, than I originally planned. This is due to the smaller plants I anticipate.

I had a hot tub, in a previous life. I used both the strips and the liquid types of PH testers. I found the strips would give different readings, depending upon the brand and age of the strips. I didn't really care for the liquid either. I would greatly appreciate a better way of testing PH.

So, kind growers, do any of you use PH pens? What brand?
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

I use a PH pen made by HM Digital model PH-90. Works great, I check calibration monthly with a 7.0 reference solution and recalibrate if necessary. The electrode also needs to be kept moist. This meter came with a small packet of electrode storage solution to keep the sponge inside the cap wet. I bought a bottle of the pH electrode storage solution as well. There may be better options out there so I’m curious what others are using as well.
    4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't check ph, much anymore, but when I do, I use BlueLabs meter, the cheap yellow ones work fine though.
      You might want to get a couple of the yellow kind, they break pretty easy, but so do all of them.

I use the generic yellow plastic one with only a switch and a readout. It's very easy to calibrate and use and it is very economical. I'm a soil grower though, if I was doing hydro I would probably spring for something a bit nicer but this cheap one works fine for lots of us. They sell them on Amazon if you need it soon but I found mine on ebay (and waited about 2 weeks) for 7 or 8 dollars which I think was around half of the Amazon price.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyButtLovin View Post
      I use the generic yellow plastic one with only a switch and a readout. It's very easy to calibrate and use and it is very economical. I'm a soil grower though, if I was doing hydro I would probably spring for something a bit nicer but this cheap one works fine for lots of us. They sell them on Amazon if you need it soon but I found mine on ebay (and waited about 2 weeks) for 7 or 8 dollars which I think was around half of the Amazon price.
      Thanks for the info! I'll be growing in Coco coir/Perlite. I will keep my eyes out!
      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Mine has a replaceable tip.
        Hanna Instruments HI98103 Checker pH Tester with Ph Electrode and Batteries, 0.00 to 14.00 pH, +/-0.2 pH Accuracy, 0.1 pH Resolution https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085WOIMQ..._K5obEb829CNWK
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          If purchasing a higher end meter that is a great option. The electrodes do have a limited life span.

I like the cheap route on pH pens. Amazon offers a variety of Chinese pens of varying colors, and brand names. I believe them all to be manufactured by one company. Some of the brand names are quite humorous. These newer pens do have ATC, and automatic calibration eliminating the need of the little jeweler's screw driver. I have selected this one at random due to it's lower price, and higher rating. https://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Meas...%2C336&sr=8-19 I have a blue one, and a almost orange one. Order one,and if it fails in your testings send it back, and try another. I like blue!

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeslike ha ha ha!

Went through 2 el cheapo meters semi recently. Stored in the special solution, calibrated regularly, thought they worked great at first. They calibrated just fine, test them with the reference solutions and they were dead on, check water or nute solution and things were not always right, weird fluctuations or numbers not being anywhere near where they should have been. Checked what was supposed to be 6.5ish water because the amount of ph down should have dropped the numbers alot faster with the drops and it was considerably lower than what the meter displayed They both went out in less than 5 months.You may do well to have the testing drops on hand to occasionally check readings against the meter. Even after I got the fancy Bluelab meter I am still checking with drops just to maintain sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by pacodelahoya View Post
          Went through 2 el cheapo meters semi recently. Stored in the special solution, calibrated regularly, thought they worked great at first. They calibrated just fine, test them with the reference solutions and they were dead on, check water or nute solution and things were not always right, weird fluctuations or numbers not being anywhere near where they should have been. Checked what was supposed to be 6.5ish water because the amount of ph down should have dropped the numbers alot faster with the drops and it was considerably lower than what the meter displayed They both went out in less than 5 months.You may do well to have the testing drops on hand to occasionally check readings against the meter. Even after I got the fancy Bluelab meter I am still checking with drops just to maintain sanity.
          Thanks Paco - Duly noted and a great idea!

Comment

GH drops worked for me I gave up on the cheap pens and didn’t want to spend a hundred plus on a pricey pen that will break eventually. Now I just water and let the plants and soil work it out. It works that way when you keep your soil “alive”

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X