Net pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net pots

Do the sides usually split out of net pots due to the roots getting too large? This is my first bubbleponics grow and the net pots were brand new. I have two net pots splitting out down the side. One net pot is split and spread wide enough that the hydroton is beginning to fall out. The other split is getting that big. What should I do? Also I have been wondering if it is necessary to run top feed through the entire growth cycle? Does it help aerate the water or just a waste of electricity? Thanks

Hi Burny, I'm a hydro grower and I never heard of net pots splitting!!! Your roots must be going nuts! Can you rig something to keep your medium from spilling out but that won't block air and water? The net pots really vary in quality, and I see a lot of negative reviews of cheap net pots that break really easily, so stick to trusted brands like Hydrofarm. I get a lot of my grow equipment on Amazon and the buyers' reviews really help a lot to see what's good and what's not so good.

Here's a good article on top feed/DWC: http://www.growweedeasy.com/high-yie...nics-technique
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Welcome Burny and a Happy New Year!
      I have also had roots (especially tap roots) grow thru and cause the net pots to break. This has not been a great problem (so far) as I have only had a few break bad enough to discard them. I can imagine, that if the split or breakage was large enough to allow the plant to fall into the reservoir, then that could be bad. You could try wrapping a length of wire around the net pot to help secure it until the grow is finished.
      I would definitely recommend keeping the top feed running during the grow. First it keeps the upper portion of the roots from drying out, and secondly, it helps keep the water circulating and helps with oxygen uptake. That being said, I have not noticed any problems when either, the pump quit during the bloom period of a grow, or if the lines got blocked (once due to roots growing inside!). I would at least run the top water a couple of times a day, just to keep the roots moist ( it beats using a turkey baster!).
      Good luck in your grow.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I've never had a pot split I use them over and over. I use the cheapest off Amazon. The little aqarium pump I use says it pumps about 12 gph at that rate my 3 gall res has to stay mixed up good. I think the plant can do fine without top feed but for me its easier to leave it. Also makes it easy to sample water.
        Happy new year to all !!
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

Hi Burny

I thought to myself the last grow it should have slit that pot but that hasn't happened to me and I get crazy roots in the DWC

I've not reused any pots for the price it's probably good to start fresh and I've never reused tubing .

Without the aeration the plant won't have enough air and the plant stops getting big, use 2 stones per 5 gallons of water 24/7
          Bubblehead
          4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
          4 Cures and a Life time gardener
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can tell when you try to put too much oxygen into the water, you blow the water out of the tank!! LOL
            I agree, Karlee, the possibility of cross contamination is just too great of a risk to not replace the tubing, pots, and pebbles every grow. I even replace the water pump after every grow as well.
            Happy New Year to All, and to All a good grow!

• Karlee
            Karlee commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy New Year DWC -
            I have fish and the pumps run 24/7 I do keep back ups but they are pretty reliable. Better safe then sorry is a good concept.

Thanks to all that replied I really appreciate all the helpful advice. So far the net pots are still holding. Extremely misshapen but holding. They were C.A.P. Everlastics brand. Thanks for the advice on running the top feed throughout entire growth cycle. I couldn't find an answer to that question anywhere.

Comment

I have split net pots before, well the roots did anyway. I think it's normal. They're pretty cheap... in quality and price. I don't bother prying roots out, my uncle does, but he's a miser

Comment

• DW2
              DW2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, you gotta remember, roots are part of what turns mountains into sand!
              Your Uncle sounds like a good Scotsman, indeed! I've pinched a few pennies in my time too!

It's happened to me several times - it just means you've got some monster roots! As long as your roots are still stable it shouldn't affect them at all

Comment

Just figured I would post a pic of what it looked like when my net pot split out.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few pics of what my split out net pots ended up looking like.
                Last edited by Burny; 02-23-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I bought many extra net pots!. I found them on line for only .22 each!. I buy them in stacks of 50 for that price!.

Comment

That is pretty cheap. Are they 3.75"? Where did you get them? I am going to have to have some more. My next batch is already starting to split their net pots out also.

Comment

What size? mine are 2 inch

Comment

$3.75!!! EACH Are your net pots made o gold?

Comment

No 3.75 inches is the diameter of the net pots I use.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X