Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for newbies

NebulaHaze

Over the past month, I have seen quite a few posts by beginners who are overwhelmed by issues they don't know how to solve. It stresses them out a lot--especially if they are not getting direct responses to the problem they describe, which can happen easily on a forum...

Sometimes the thread kind of digresses into other issues and the newbie doesn't really get clear, direct responses to the problems s/he is confronting. Would there be any possibility of having a special section on the forum called HELP!!! or SAVE MY PLANT! or some such thing? It could be devoted specifically to PROBLEMS people are having, and allow newbies to get the help they need asap. I don't like to see these issues get lost in the crowd as the forum grows...and grows...and grows...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

The header "Diagnose Sick Plants" pretty much covers that.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      But a lot of newbies haven't navegated GWE as much as others have, and don't know about all that's in GWE. They are on the forum asking the questions, and I think some folks may prefer direct responses.... May have more trouble digesting all the info on GWE... Not everyone is a good reader.

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I also found that a lot of people are just a little bit lazy to look it up, when it's just as easy to ask someone. Just think about how many time in one week the same question gets asked.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, King, but like I said below, some folks just aren't good readers and have a real hard time getting through the info on GWE. Nebula's pages are great for those of us who are good readers, "analytical" type learners--but I can understand how some of the pages are going to be quite daunting for some people. If I have had to go over and over those pages (and I'm a good reader!!!), I can see some people just not knowing how to cope with the amount of information and all the aspects of the information being provided.

totally my opinion here.....I hate the idea of different sections....for me having it all in front of me in same column is best.....I do not want to navigate through this forum just to stay current.....if the thread gets lost its up to op to get it back on track and get his answers.....I am on this forum because how it is set up......easy

Comment

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      and I will not list what I use as a signature...I don't what you..(reader) ...thinking I cant answer your question because we use different things...

my signature...I grow weed

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not all that hard to stay current: just go to latest activity!! It's just not that easy for some people to get a thread back on track. We are all so different...

As a college professor, I have come to understand that there really are different learning styles and different reading abilities. I think the exact same thing applies to learning to grow cannabis successfully.
    Some of us are much more computer saavy than others, and some of us are better at reading and absorbing information on a site like GWE. I have read a lot of heavy shit in my life being a fan of critical and cultural theory, and I still have to study and study and study the pages on GWE. That is how I learn best--by reading, re-reading and re-re-reading. Someone else may be much more of a visual learner...

I don't think you realize how difficult it is for some learners to weave all the threads together that go into a successful grow: IT'S A LOT. I don't "hate" anything about this forum; I just want to see the beginners get their questions answered directly, which certainly doesn't always happen. It's very easy for threads to digress into me me me and lose focus on the beginner's questions.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      you make valid points....but if your going to start a thread its up to you to maintain it and get what you want out of it....

p.s we all like to help others...but it is up to each individual to do their own homework as well....we are here to assist and show....not to grow their grow for them....if you make no mistakes on your own you don't learn anything...

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I just want to make sense: I do not want to debate. I want beginning growers to have the very best shot and getting clear and direct answers to their "crises." I feel badly for someone who's struggling with seedlings for well over a week and still doesn't have the right answers...

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct, Green: it's also up to the experts to help the newbies become more self-sufficient in their quest for knowledge. And of course, I'm always in favor of people becoming stronger readers.

If they don't do the homework themselves, they gone fail the class... It happens to students who take the "helpless" tack all the time...

I agree. We have brought up the same thing several times. Some like the forum just like it is but some others would like a way to organize and diferénciate topics better. I know anything we ask for its gonna be asking for too much due to everything GWE has gave us. But in order to become a better place we have to speak our minds and share ideas. I'm very thankful and I mean no demanding. But in my opinion instead of everything going in the same "GWE marihuana growing community" section. We could have a cupple more like full journals and help & questions

Comment

• Weasel
      Weasel commented
      Editing a comment
      It makes sense to me to have subsections - like journals, tutorials, FAQ grower questions (cause the same basic questions are asked by growers over and over everywhere), and probably several other sections depending how big the forum grows. Along with the link to see all new posts, as well as a good search function, and we are golden, I think

as long as there is a forever spot on the side that says view all....im in...it has to keep its easy ability

Comment

• Karlee
      Karlee commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the view all too, can your sig. say E.R doctor in residence? -

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Karlee, that's a good idea!! If the sig. posts that shingle, then maybe some folks would write directly to the ER doctors!

• Karlee
      Karlee commented
      Editing a comment
      An emergency room wouldn't be bad and have both Nurses & Doctors

I reckon it's a bit of the old Marxist in me: "From each according to his ability; to each according to his need."

Comment

• South Sierra Dude
      South Sierra Dude commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm no commie but I was part of a military dictatorship and this concept was explained to me in the form of a question, "how high is high?".

The basic format of the forum is "let's all see who can diagnose" based on our limited knowledge whilst we wait for Nebula or Dr.Green to check in. Dontknownothing usually stops by with some humor while I try to stay on task and finish my harvest.
    SSD

Comment

• Karlee
      Karlee commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't agree with your generality we have learned from Master Gardeners Named Nebula and Sirrius and don't think for one minute that if I personally gave you a bad suggestion THEY wouldn't step in and fix this fast.
      I'm here to help that first time grower because I felt lost on my first grow and being here I see people on the 4th grow and the plants aren't producing what they could have by following some certain rules. I hardly can afford to grow so when I have the lights on I want all I can get with the least amount of money involved no thrills.

So if I can help one person do this saving time and money I will keep doing this here I pay my debts always.

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      wait, what? i thought SSD was jokin around w/this comment? maybe i missed something....

• South Sierra Dude
      South Sierra Dude commented
      Editing a comment
      I was. I am kinda confused. I do that.

As said before teach them and thay will grow better and pass it on to others . We will be stronger for it. It's a win win for all. Some just take longer to learn and some never will! Its ok peace

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Right: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

i was kinda not wanting to say anything since i haven't really been here long enough but if you all went the way of that ER doctor analogy, there could maybe be a member (or 2) "on call" so to speak, and have it be voluntary....i have NO idea if that would work and i have no ponies in this race just throwin out a suggestion
    "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      And it's a good idea. People have mentioned before all the aspects of the grow you should mention--medium, pH in, pH out, pictures, etc. (all the things Green75 always asks for), and pictures if possible. Set it up with those "requirements" so that the ER doctor knows what s/he is dealing with.

i just had another thought....back when i had this problem as a teacher--put most generally and most crassly--the problem of Have You Done the Assigned Reading?-- i learned to do the following:

student says they're having trouble understanding, say widgets.
    me: have you read (assigned articles, textbook parts) on widgets?
    if no, then helpfully say ok, go read those and afterwards get back with me.
    if yes, then i ask what specifically they need help with and try to help accordingly.

if something like this was done here, maybe we could avert what Green's saying while also trying to help with what Alltat's saying...
    "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Only one way to settle this. "Who hasthe biggest hat.
      Attached Files
      SSD

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        SSD this is not a pissing contest, and it don't matter who gots a big hat. This is about how to teach, and anyone can be a good teacher-- not just "teachers"! That is, if we wanna teach newbies how to use GWE which helps those who help themselves.

That's what Green75 was sayin yesterday and now bobsaka. We want to hold folks responsible for putting in the work (rather than always spoon feeding) to get to really understand what they are doing. And like someone else was sayin (damn! Im high and I can't remember who it was, but it was well said), we have to grow an activist community as well as grow our girls.

I think this forum does know there's a "higher" cause, and that's to get absolute legalization. It's been a subtext in a lot of discussions we have goin on right now. So rather than fear the negative forces that want to keep us paranoid and afraid, let's be activists in whatever way we can: by teaching, sharing, supporting and spittin the truth.

• bobsakamoto
        bobsakamoto commented
        Editing a comment
        i don't have a hat. but i agree with the last paragraph immediately above this one, from alltat

I'd ask what it is but on second thought Ima smoke a joint.
      Last edited by South Sierra Dude; 01-01-2017, 05:52 PM.
      SSD

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X