Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Grow - one Auto, one Not. Can they get along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Grow - one Auto, one Not. Can they get along?

Growing from seed. One auto Tangerine Dream, one Chemdog #4.Just got into veg, giving 18/6 light with LED. When the auto starts to flower, do I need to provide a separate environment with 12/12 light, or will it do it’s own thing in the 18/6 light til I flip the switch on the other plant?

Afternoon War Texas let me get this straight you have 1auto 1 photo. And now they are how old? Let's say your auto seed info says " flower 65 days" could take 75 days depends on how much light you have with the LED watts? I do grows with autos and photos but here's the thing for me I start my auto first cause it can go into flower as early as 3wks from seed. My photo seed once sprouted I veg minimum of 60days sometimes longer. By the time my photo is to the size I want it for my size tent my auto will be close to finish in 14days. What i'm saying is know the type of seed how long it's suppose to go start auto first in tent and follow with the photo.

All these variables equal to your grow room supplies. But I always start my auto first and follow with the photo cause it gives that auto time to flower and finish shortly after it's time to flip the photo to 12/12. And here another thought I personally don't think if you had to run 12/12 for photo a week or so I don't think it would hurt that auto being so far along? Hope this helps Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

The auto is fine at 18/6 - no special light requirements

when in the same situation, I ran 18/6 until the autos finished (had 2). The photos happily vegged and gave me time to train them. When the autos came down, flipped to 12/12 and finished the photos

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
        LurkingInTheGrass commented
        Editing a comment
        You may have to put a riser or something underneath 1 plant (to juggle any differences in plant height and distance from light)

Here’s my experience.... in a field of photo periods, 2 turn our to be autos by a VERY BIG surprise...I never bought them but they were in there. So while the others were enjoying the veg at 18/6 for 7 weeks, the autos had no choice when the 12/12 switch occurred. The autos were already showing bud sites and pistils....long story short.... they all turned out fine...the autos simply got harvested about 5 weeks before the photos. Here’s the problem though, the yields on those autos would have been better if those lights could have stayed on 18/6 for the entire grow period.

because of the short time to harvest, if a photo period plant has to be discarded, an auto could be germinated and placed in that tent to fill a gap within a small window of time and still present a successful yield.

Comment

Thanks so much for the really useful info. I feel like I can move forward with more confidence now. I think in the future, I will not grow autos, mostly because they have a mind of their own. I feel like I want to be in charge of how big or small I want it to be and when I'm ready to flip the switch. Also, I want the option of cloning and I understand that you can't clone autos.
        Thanks again for your time and information.

Comment

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          What made me annoyed at first is exactly what you say, they have a mind of their own... they know in advance what they are going to do. On the other hand, in a lazy kind of way, it’s not a bad thing when you just raise the lights and water for awhile but photos provide me a lot more

Welcome and were all glad to help. Cloning is my favorite way to make free plants.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X