An experiment with clones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An experiment with clones.

When I put a plant onto the flowering cycle I removed 6 tiny tiny shoots that wouldnt of come to anything, they were about an inch long. Not wanting to throw them away I decided to try rooting them in water. After 10 days there were no roots so I decided to pot them up in compost. 2 I dipped in rooting powder, 2 I dipped in gel and 2 got nothing. I put them in a covered tray on a heated tray.Here they are 2 weeks later... To be honest they seem to have taken better than in those cube things.(bottom 2 powder, next 2 gel top 2 nothing)

I am no expert on cloning, but I believe you're supposed to cut the first half of the leaves off and ensure you have 70% humidity. This supposedly prompts the the plant to focus on root development instead of leaf development.

Comment

Those look great!
      4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

Wow! they look awesome, especially for starting out so small. Straight compost? What kind?
        Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Suzie
          Suzie commented
          Editing a comment
          The compost is Evergreen. Irish. Multi purpose compost. They were much smaller than that to start, most of the leaves are new growth.

• DingusKhan
          DingusKhan commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm definitely going to have to try that. I might not be able to find that brand, but I do have half a bag of mushroom compost that I got last spring from bLowes. Imo put some of that in some little sauce cups that will fit in my Costco Rostisserie Chicken Humidity tray; Lord willing and my current seedling makes it far enough to offer tiny cuttings.

Great job just keep doing what your doing. It's fun and cheap way to create plants.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Suzie try looking here this where I started..https://www.growweedeasy.com/cloning-made-easy

Comment

were they in the dark in a covered tray ? thats like holy shit !

Comment

Ell They were on a propagating warm tray, in one of them clear covered trays with vents in the top (that came with the tray). ( I spray the inside of the cover everyday to keep the humidity up) They were and are under t5's ( a 2ft one with 2 tubes 3500K) I put them slightly to one side so they wern't directly under the lights, it seems to have worked!

Comment

• Ell
                Ell commented
                Editing a comment
                very good . i also use 2 foot t5 for clones and seedlings and a lil beyond sometimes.

DingusKhan Good luck to you. Im going to try taking a couple of the lower sprouts off of 2 different young plants grown from seed that Ive got vegging. It would save me £40 if they grow! and if they dont I havnt lost anything. All the best, I hope you are successful. Do let us know how it goes. I think it could of been the putting in water, as they took much better than in cubes or compost to start. I took of the bottom leaves ,cut just below a node and then cut the larger leaves in half across ( its so the cutting isnt struggling to support too much, and it cuts down on water loss)

Comment

• DingusKhan
                DingusKhan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Suzie. I've had a fair amount of success cloning in rapid rooters and in a bucket of bubbling water with normal sized cuttings. I've always lamented having to wait until they were so big.

DingusKhan Here they are in water, they stayed there for 10 days. I sprayed them twice a day with a weak solution of Babybio for the Nitrogen. They were under 2ft t5's (2 tubes) but to one side not directly underneath..

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great example Suzie you'll be in seedlings for as long as you want to grow.

• DingusKhan
                DingusKhan commented
                Editing a comment
                that's my kinda shot glass!

DingusKhan not saying it won’t work for you just want to advice you not to use mushroom compost for your girls. I was listening to a podcast on cannabis and one guy was having trouble turns out he was using mushroom compost he was advised not to use it. If you can buy Malibu Compost (BU’s Compost).

Comment

• DingusKhan
                DingusKhan commented
                Editing a comment
                Dude, thanks for the heads up. I haven't seen Malibu or Evergreen here. I could just get some regular organic compost around here.

Suzie one inch long lol I thought I was the only one crazy enough to try that. It does work it did for me before but it’s easier with longer clones. Also that proves that that clonex gel is all just marketing. I use aloe Vera gel. I have a plant in my yard when I go to clone I just cut my aloe plant and dip my cuttings in the gel then I put them in rock wool. Those plugs are made of the cheapest material possible so if you use those buy the cheapest you can find they’re all made in the same place just different marketing and prices when they go for sale don’t fall for it. I’m talking about those brown root plugs I think that’s what they are called. Nebula promotes those a lot but rock wool is cheaper and better in my opinion

Comment

Hey all! This shit is about MULTITASKING!

This thread has been really good reading to prep for the clone along, for which I'm absolutely giddy because this has been the first time since Y2K that I was excited about New Years! I'm going to drop some seeds here in about 81 minutes. And I'm cutting some clones.

I'm getting the seedling area of my closet cleaned up, finding out that I don't have any collars for the bubble cloner bucket so that just simplified this project, also finding out that I only have mushroom compost that got from Lowe's last spring for this experiment, and going to compare with seedling mix and perlite, the winner of which will graduate to the solo cup grow off!

Since my HGK plant is a regular seed, I will need to sex her, and so will be doing at least one photo clone for the solo grow. If she's a she, we'll have a first taste of smoke while mama gets a little fatter.

So many grows, so little time....

Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No kidding Dingus, I multitasked all morning. Got all the seedling planted in final home. The flower tent is full and I still have 2 photos on my back porch tent vegging. Found a male in my GDP auto this a.m. so down to 3 auto 3 photo in the tent it's gonna get crazy in there. Oh yeah I also started a auto for the cup competition LOL I guess I do have possible 4 auto.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X