Autos vs feminised seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autos vs feminised seeds

I’ve recently grown my first batch of plants (auto northern lights) which are so close to harvest I’m like a kid waiting for xmas. I’ve learned a lot, mostly from this site during the various stages. I’ve recently bought some fat banana seeds which I’m going to start as soon as I can after harvest. Apart from the light schedule during flowering, is there anything different I should be doing with non-auto seeds?

Morning from Oregon MagicMike66 what a treat northern lights I've had it in a photoperiod loved it not in an auto yet but will do someday. No not really different with seed germination what I've found. Seedlings not really different other than I do under CFL veg from sprout to cup of soil under light 18/6 just like when I transplant into final container veg that for 7-8wks then flip just have to watch height pull them down LST or tie to bamboo stakes, it's the height you gotta watch for. And they'll need 5gal. min container. I feel safe doing 4 photo in a 4x4x7 tent 5 gal. cont. Good luck there fun to train good practice and you get more time with them.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks for the advice man, and good evening all the way from Scotland.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on Scotland my hubby is scots but he's a "ginger" so guess ya figure now that i'm a lass so go and grow some great weed such beautiful land you have.

Oops my bad sorry lass

Comment

With photo plants you have more control over them, like when they flower. Autos flower on their own internal clock, like 3-5 weeks old they are flowering. With photos you can have a longer veg time for a larger yield, just shorten the lights to 12/12s and away we go! Ok it does take some time for it to show,,,.
        Regular seed will be male and female, feminized is female only.

Comment

Hi MM, I've never grown autos, but I think you'll develop a deeper relationship with your photos, because you're more involved in what they're doing and when they do it. I could be wrong there, but I feel like there's a cooperation and a working together with photos that I wouldn't feel so strongly with autos.

Like Rwise writes, you make the decisions as to how tall they get and when to switch them to 12/12. Also in general, photos are stronger chemically than autos, who have to sacrifice some genetics to Ruderalis. I don't know of any auto that can get up to 27-32% THC, correct me if I'm wrong...
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Hi Alltatup, Yeah the huge increase in THC is the main reason I’ve gone for photos this time around. Being a 1st time grower I wanted to use autos just to see if I could look after it and learn from my mistakes which thankfully haven’t really been anything too bad. Apart from a low yield I’ve managed to grow what looks like some pretty sweet buds. Hopefully with the photos next time I can grow bigger juicy fatter buds ☺️

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              MagicMike66 I've learned and improved from each and every grow!!! Go for those bigger juicy fatter buds!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost spent $200 on auto seeds this past Black Friday. But now my second round of autos is looking small, and I’m thinking it’s time to switch back to photos. Kinda glad I didn’t buy all those seeds. I’m going to use my last handful of auto seeds up, and then I’m going to run photos again. I want the luxury of large plants back. I’m going to manifold and train like crazy, just because I can!
            Gorilla 3x3
            LEC 315
            Kind Soil
            Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you there s62 i'm a firm believer in the photos I've got some autos going again and just purchased some more to keep me in practice and try for larger yields. But I did get really tempted to throw lots of money at those seed sales there great. I just want to grow a auto and yield 2oz on a plant, not happened yet. I've got some seeds that are auto but not fem. just reg. they are freebies from prior purchase those are for summer where I can isolate my fems and regs better.

I will grow both outside this spring, as soon as the autos are flowering the photos go in. I can have 6+6 veg/flower,,, the autos will give an early summer harvest, and then the photos come in!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Rwise i'm trying to grow older seeds I've had around for a couple years. I've ordered several more but i'm seeing if this supplier is sending me non viable sprouters. That's not a normal term but you get my point. I am having a harder time germinating last 2x's it's been a struggle. Not sure what the problems are but either takes days longer or nothing. I've just started 3 autos 1 is from 3pk which I grew during summer but they were dwarfs stunted so don't expect much from the teeny tiny one I just got a tail showing. The others looked better but they have been soaked then toweled and 2days so far nothing?? I want to get rid of these move on to better breeder.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X