Anyone ever grown an Orchid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever grown an Orchid?

Im watching my Aunt and Uncles place while their away on vaycay..While trying to keep ferns and spider plants and cactus's alive...there is a orchid here that has looked pretty sad even before they left...she said to throw it out, but i figured wth..It still looks like a charlie brown Christmas tree plant...very little life on it..two leaves at the bottom and at least one flower..i think. I give it 1 ice cube a week(i dunno, that was my directions lol) does anybody grow these things?? do they need nutes at all? maybe some fresh dirt? any guesses....
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

You can water every five to seven days and be ok. The ice cube should be good. It really depends on the species, though. I've grown one phalaenopsis and one dendrobium in the past. No need for nutes, don't even have to pH the water. I gave it the hose. It doesn't need much sun, either. It's amazing how beautiful orchids can be when they are really super easy to maintain. I hope it can bloom. I would love to see what it is.

Comment

• homegrown
      homegrown commented
      Editing a comment
      hey RFheavy ,considering all ive done is give it a ice cube every week...ya thats pretty simple..lol Maybe i should move it out of the full day sun.? and Geeez if these are that easy to grow, i might have a go at it.. Some bark and sticks for a grow medium, an ice cube a week, not much sun...doh...i think i can do that. Here i am looking at my weed plants every few hours and making sure their all happy...and you can stick this in crap..dont feed it very often, no nutes, doesnt need bright light...hmmmmm.

• RFheavy
      RFheavy commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you know the "strain" of this orchid? Some orchids grow just fine while sitting in the shade as well. My mom puts a bunch of plants along the wall of her house that runs perpendicular to the path of the sun. That way, it will catch shade and not all of the daylight. My mom uses rocks for a grow medium in plastic pots. Orchids are hilarious in that sense!

• Greenpassion
      Greenpassion commented
      Editing a comment
      The orchid in the picture is a Phalaenopsis. It takes filtered light, bark or better yet, Orchiata bark. you can get it in amazon, ebay, or many other sites. Water by plain water mixed in a gallon jug with 1/4 tsp. k-lite orchid fertilizer. I keep several gallons pre-mixed on hand at all times. With the plant held over the sink, or on a rack over the sink, pour several cups of this mixture through the pot. let it drain for a few minutes, then return it to its place. it's very simple.
      Orchids naturally grow hanging onto the sides of trees, and NEVER sit in water. And NEVER in full sun!

Rocks for a grow medium...i guess that explains all the little pieces of wood,sticks and junk in the pot.lol. I dont know the strain..but i think i'll move it to a more indirect light when i check the house next...it was in a pretty shady spot before i moved it to the daytime sun window. but at least its still alive... thanks RFheavy
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

• Greenpassion
      Greenpassion commented
      Editing a comment
      Hate to break it to you all, but the ice cube thing is marketing hype. Ask yourself, have you ever seen any plant in nature that is watered by ice cubes? And, can you imagine how the companies actually water the hundreds of thousands of orchids in the greenhouses that they produce? I fell for the ice cube thing initially, until I really got into growing orchids for real. Please, for any one who wants to really grow these plants, go to Orchid Board.com. You won't regret it.

• homegrown
      homegrown commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks@Greenpassion i'll have a look.

• RFheavy
      RFheavy commented
      Editing a comment
      Why would you hate? You are culturing us! Thanks for that! I was looking into oncidiums and if I do purchase one, I'll definitely check that site out!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X