Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germination issue, short taproot with blackspot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination issue, short taproot with blackspot?

I've been germinating my seeds using papel towel method for the pass few grow without problem at all.
    Now im having issue of slow taproot development.
    The seed shell cracked and the taproot popped out a little but growing so slowly?
    Seed is inside a small food container and set in my closet with no light and the temp goes betweed 24-28C.
    Should I put them in grow medium now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	seed.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	354791

I have had mixed success with paper towel method. Sometimes it works but not as consistent as i would like. I then started doing the 3 min 1:1 h2o2 and water (in shot glass) then move to a glass of plain water for 24-48 hrs and have not had any trouble since.

That said, those look like they are ready for planting. I'm not sure what the spot is or if it will matter, but other than that i see no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Tersky View Post
      I have had mixed success with paper towel method. Sometimes it works but not as consistent as i would like. I then started doing the 3 min 1:1 h2o2 and water (in shot glass) then move to a glass of plain water for 24-48 hrs and have not had any trouble since.

That said, those look like they are ready for planting. I'm not sure what the spot is or if it will matter, but other than that i see no issue.
      All right Thanks for the insight, I will drop them in grow medium and hope for the best!
      Will try out your method next time for sure.

Comment

I don't see any problems at all, yeah, they ready to plant.
        GoodLuck with them.
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

I have also gone away from the paper towel method to a ~24 hour soak in water until I see the shells opening up. Then into the soil they go, water them in gently and cover with saran wrap, set in a drip tray on a heating mat and near whatever is growing but many inches further from the light. I find that of the seeds that begin to open in the 24 hr soak, about 50% or so break ground within another 24 hours. With this method, I go from package to plant in 48 hours or so. I used to keep them in the paper towels longer than that!

ETA - I have had dark spots too. They usually end up as a brown spot on the tips of the cotyledons, sometimes the spot dries out and sticks a bit hindering their opening and requiring minor surgery which is just sliding something thin between leaves from bottom out to tip to break the bond so they can open. The brown spot doesn't hurt anything and it's only on the cotyledons, it grows out normal from there.
          Last edited by FunkyButtLovin; 12-04-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X